What type bathtub am I looking for?

lisadluOctober 7, 2013

I am replacing an all in one bathtub/wall surround with a new tub and will be tiling the walls surrounding it. The tub is not in an alcove and the rear of the tub has no hard wall (the tub is only surrounded by 2 hard walls, one on the faucet side and then the length of the tub). Since I am tiling do I need a tub with a flange just on the two sides where the hard walls are? If so, what terminology am I looking for? I've looked on Home Depot and Lowes websites but not sure I am looking for the right thing. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

One thing you could do is build a pony wall at the other end, creating an alcove. Otherwise I think you would need a corner tub. What material are you thinking of? You could tile the walls to the floor and have a free standing tub. If you plan to have the tub against the walls you will need a tile flange on your tub. You could check the different manufacture web sites. Like Kohler, Toto, etc.

Is this tub going to have a shower too?

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 11:48PM
GreenDesigns

I haven't seen a 2 wall tub available for a reasonable price. Plus, you will still need that awkward two sided shower rod and 2 curtains. If you build the 3rd wall, you can use a standard alcove tub for a tub/shower installation. Those are fairly cheap, even for good quality. You can also just use a standard shower rod and curtain then. Any time you are able to use "standard" off the shelf products, you can save tons of money over custom or specialty products.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 9:30AM
catbuilder

Is this a shower/tub combo, or just a tub? It makes a big difference if you will be putting in a shower.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
No door to bathroom
We are picking our interior doors out tomorrow. I like...
holcombe3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™