Kenmore Dishwasher with no rinse cycle?

mountaingalSeptember 28, 2012

Just installed a Kenmore Elite dishwasher model number 13923. The owner's manual refers to a Quick Rinse cycle but there is no such button. Is there a secret combination of buttons that will produce a rinse-only cycle? I've never had a dishwasher without such a cycle, and never noticed that this one doesn't have it until it was purchased and installed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

The full model number is longer, begins with three digits and a period.

Owner guides may cover several models ... similar but with different cycle choices or other features.

Not unusual that some dishwashers nowadays don't have a rinse/hold cycle.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 5:56PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Rinse/hold has mostly been eliminated from the DW landscape as it wastes water. With most DW's using around 3-4 gallons of water total for a wash, it really isn't wasteful to go ahead and do a small load. The detergents actually work better with food particles left on the dishes rather than rinsed off anyway.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 7:58PM
mountaingal

Thanks for those quick responses. I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to. I have mainly used the rinse cycle when I am leaving on a trip and want to leave those last few breakfast dishes without having the food traces turn to cement while I'm gone. I don't like to start a regular cycle then because I don't have time to wait around until it's done and I can't leave a water-using appliance running when nobody's home because we shut down our water well. As usual these appliance designers don't take the rural resident into account. A couple years ago I had a difficult time finding a new refrigerator that did not have in-door water and ice, which we are not plumbed for and which is not compatible with our water system.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:36AM
dadoes

MountainGal,

All the dishwasher I've used since the first one my family got in 1975 have had Rinse/Hold. We used the cycle for a couple years at first until realizing that it caused worse odors in cases of a partial load sitting longer than to end of the day.

All dishwashers leave a small amount of water in the pump/sump, none of them can drain it 100% dry ... thus, residual dirty water from the single rinse is left to fester. Not so much of an issue if breakfast and/or lunch dishes are rinsed then then a full cycle is run at end of the day. Much more of an issue if a partial load is rinsed and left until evening of the following day (or longer).

Not using Rinse/Hold, I often leave a partial, accumulating load to sit for 2 or even 3 days. I do not experience a foul odor, and everything comes clean with the enzyme detergents nowadays.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 11:47AM
Cavimum

I've never used a Rinse&Hold/QuickRinse feature in 40 years. Our DW gets run every two days, and we have never had any odors. Incoming HOT water is 135 - 140 F degrees. The temp probably kills the enzymes in the detergent, but kills anything else growing in there, too.
We've even left town for a couple of weeks, with a few dirty dishes in there, and never any problems with odors. Door is always left cracked open, just like a FL washer, between wash cycles. ;-)

Last week, I lowered the water heater temp down to 120F after participating in a different DW discussion topic here at GW about enzymes and DWs. Funny thing .... our DW smelled funky after that, so I put the hot water heater back up to 135F. Makes me wonder what the incoming HOT water temp is in DWs where owners complain of unresolved odors.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Bluestar Precious Metals - Infused copper
Greetings, I am getting ready to order a 36" 6...
pitcom
Cabinet front dishwashers
We are putting in two cabinet-front dishwashers in...
mwinfield
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Whirlpool Chillerator Repair Question
I posted on this issue in Electrical Wiring, but I...
amyf5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™