Design around this: Brushed Black Matrix granite

bbstxOctober 19, 2013

The fabricator who is doing the granite for my new house has a remnant that he is willing to let me have for a reasonable price. It is called Brushed Black Matrix, I think. There are finger-sized areas that are polished black surrounded by areas of texture that sparkle in the right light. Although in the photo the texture looks gray, it is black.

I am thinking of using it in the guest bathroom which will double as a powder room.

The givens are a white tub with a white subway tile surround. I prefer a white toilet.

I need suggestions for lighting, vanity base (color and style), wall color, shower curtain, and flooring. Accessories? Do you see an undermount sink? If so, black or white? Do you see a vessel sink? Clear glass? Seeded glass?

My general style is traditional, but most of my artwork is contemporary. I like Chinoiserie style too. And I could see a soft contemporary bathroom blending into my house. Overriding any style, I'd like for it to look stunning.

I have this mirror but I don't have to use it if there is something better.

This is the Brushed Black Matrix

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrueter

Your granite is wonderful - and it should go with almost anything you would want to pick, from cottage to traditional to very contemporary. Personally I am not a fan of vessel sinks so I would recommend a white undermount. Depending on the overall design, probably a chrome or stainless type of hardware.

Here are a few inspiration pictures from Houzz showing a tremendous variety, even within your description of white tub, tile and toilet, traditional with contemporary art, possibly Chinoiserie, and stunning! I love it!

Contemporary with medium toned wood and grey walls, floor (tub surround could easily be white)

Contemporary Bathroom by Vancouver Interior Designers & Decorators Claudia Leccacorvi

grey cabinet, more transitional

Contemporary Bathroom by San Diego Photographers Ambience Photography

Stunning! Dark, vivid bold colors. A bold shower curtain over a white surround would look similar

Contemporary Bathroom by Phoenix Interior Designers & Decorators Chris Jovanelly Interior Design

traditional dark wood vanity with dark walls and contemporary accessories

Contemporary Bathroom by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Toronto Designers

Very neutral colors, but another sink option

Craftsman Bathroom by Kelowna Cabinets & Cabinetry OK Woodcrafters Co.

one more with a dark grey/black granite on a modern, pale wood vanity with dark floors

Modern Bathroom by Hightstown Kitchen & Bath Designers Cranbury Design Center LLC

I would suggest you browse Houzz a little - it is a great place to find inspiration.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 11:34PM
jacqueline5

I saw that granite yesterday at Bedrosians. It is gorgeous. When I was looking at it (for fun, I was there to choose white marble) I imagined it being used in our mountain vacation home. Dark gray tile on the floors, rustic dark reclaimed wood vanity and shelves. I'd do a black or dark gray under mount sink. Good luck.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 4:44AM
bbstx

jrueter, I'm on houzz.com so often that if I just type "h" the address bar automatically fills in the Houzz website! Although I go to Houzz often, I feel that my search skills are sub-par on that website. Thanks for the help.

jacqueline5, you are describing to a "T" a bathroom that I've pinned! Love it, but I'm thinking it may be a tad too rustic/industrial for my guest bathroom. I had the picture pinned as an idea for my upstairs guest bathroom. Maybe I ought to reconsider. Isn't it stunning granite?

If I were to go in the rustic/industrial directions, do you know whereI could get lights like those? I tried searching for "stage lights," "klieg lights" but never found the exact thing I wanted.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 3:12PM
bbstx

Anyone have any ideas for a more traditional look with this granite? If I use it, is contemporary or industrial the only direction that I can go?

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:57PM
jrueter

OK, here are some "transitional" or "traditional" bathrooms with black/grey granite

Slightly asian, with gorgeous wallpaper:

Transitional Powder Room by Memphis Interior Designers & Decorators Anna Baskin Lattimore Design

Very traditional - similar mirror to yours

Transitional Bathroom by Phoenix Tile, Stone & Countertops Facings of America, Inc

A lighter grey granite than your matrix, but I think the matrix would also work well with a simple, traditional white vanity

Transitional Bathroom by Milwaukee Tile, Stone & Countertops Triton Stone

Traditional with grey walls and floor, dark vanity

Traditional Bathroom by Upper Marlboro Kitchen & Bath Designers Granite Grannies

Traditional, less rustic option with slate

Traditional Bathroom by Charlotte Interior Designers & Decorators Carolina Design Associates, LLC

A little more vintage/traditional with the white tile:

Traditional Bathroom by Denville Architects & Designers Katy Repka Design

I really don't see contemporary or industrial being the only choices. I think you could do almost any style with this granite, but since it is dark, you will need to balance it with some lighter elements.

I highly recommend you search the Houzz bathroom pictures for bathrooms with wallpaper. Talk about some stunning rooms!

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 10:06PM
bbstx

Good idea re pix with wallpaper, jreuter! I'll give it a try. Love all of these! The fabricator has suggested that I use it for my kitchen island instead of hiding it in a bathroom. I had planned to use White River in the kitchen (similar to Kashmir white) with walnut on the island. I'm having trouble imagining the Black Matrix with almost any other granite.

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™