Recoverying data from an external HD

genesJuly 17, 2011

GDaughter has an external 640GB (no major name) HD which she was using for picture storage of her daughter since she was born 3 years ago..I told her to duplicate the pics on DVDs and not to leave all her eggs in one basket, so to speak..anyway..the enevitable happened..she also used the external to save movies..and I believe she saved one too many movies and plugged it and it stopped giving her access..the HD shows up in Win Explorer but doesnt show any data..I looked about for a free data recovery program and thought i found one..Called Easeus Data Recovery..works well..took 13 hours to scan and show the data which is recoverable but, you are only able to recover 1GB for free, if you wish to recover more, its $70 to buy the program...What she basically needs to recover are the pictures which amount to about 32GBs...Anyone know of a good, easy to use recovery program which is free to recover 32GBs of data..I hope this has scared my GD into saving her photos on secondary media too

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414

I haven't used any of them but Gizmo recommends these. I've seen Recuva recommended in this forum.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 10:55PM
genes

OK Thanks..I googled for free recovery programs before I posted and found another I will try (Pandora Recovery) and as well, I will give the Mini Tool Power recovery a go too..I will let you know how I made out..

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:05AM
owbist

Gene I wonder if it would be possible to run say Puppy Linux from a CD then boot that to cut and paste some of the external drive content to the computer hard drive?

The download on the link below id only 128 megs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Puppy Linux

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 6:23AM
genes

Well, I think I found something magic...freeware, but the guy doesnt mind donations...called MiniTool Power Data Recovery...fast..worked like a charm..gave the man a donation too..def a keeper

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 12:23PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

excellent that will be a new tool listed in my tools folder, I had not heard of that one.

Using a linux cd usually does work, have done that many times.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 12:31PM
bob414

Glad you got it genes. I've never gone wrong following gizmo's recommendations.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 1:49PM
vala55

Glad you recovered your stuff.

So many people I talk to store their photos on an external hard drive or CDs and don't put any copies on their PC. I think that sort of defeats the purpose of have the ex HD. They need them in at least 2 places.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 3:15PM
genes

Sorry Owbist..I tried it with Pinguy linux and also with Puppy and was unable to raise the data..it could see the drive but not the data on the drive..I am not real conversant with either of the Linux distros so maybe wasnt doing something right..
Thanks anywho...

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
Sponsored Products
Ainsley modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Velocity Fitness CHE-2003 Programmable Elliptical Trainer - CHE-2003
$838.98 | Hayneedle
PizzellePro Express Bake
$49.95 | FRONTGATE
Ainsley modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Espressione Cafe Retro Espresso Machine-Red - 1385R
$399.99 | Hayneedle