Cleaning a kitchen vent hood

fandlilSeptember 26, 2013

We have a kitchen venthood with 2 wiremesh filters, which we put in the dishwasher periodically, and try to degrease the visible area around the inside of the hood. The vent goes up into the attic and ends at the fan motor that vents to the outside. It makes a couple of 45 degree turns on its way up. The entire distance is about 20-25 feet.

Question: This setup is about 25 years old. It still works fine. But we worry about grease build up and possible fire hazard. Is this a serious risk, or do the filters catch most of the grease and does our cleaning the visible area inside the vent remove the rest?

I would appreciate input from someone who has had their vent cleaned. How messy a job is it? How do we find someone who is competent to service the vent?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

Haven't the slightest idea about what is involved in cleaning a residential range hood output line.
The important thing is the avoiding of damage, the climate it must function in, and amount of grease being produced.

Grease will function as a water vapor repellent so getting ducting shiny clean is probably not a good idea in a moderate climate. In addition, grease will likely degrade over time and find some sort of equilibrium with the amount being produced by your stove use.

All in all, probably the most cost effective idea would be to plan on a replacement of the ducting and complete exhaust fan assembly at a given target date within the next few years. Finding out the condition of the old system will be a free bonus.

This post was edited by laat2 on Sat, Sep 28, 13 at 20:14

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 8:00PM
More Discussions
Can't adjust door spring on Miele Futura Dimension DW (G 5675
We just installed my new Miele dishwasher and the door...
jan_in_davis
Magnetic SS Refrigerator
My wife and I keep going back and forth on the issue...
greasetrap
Viking open burner advice needed
I have a chance to buy a Viking open burner 36"...
jerseychick
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Major Kitchen Remodel
I'm looking for a counter-depth 36" stainless...
Kim Taff
Sponsored Products
Adagio Cottonwood Falls Fountain w/ Green Natural Slate in Rustic Copper Finish
SerenityHealth
PHAT TOMMY 9 Foot Pacifica Fabric Aluminum Market Patio Umbrella
Overstock.com
Umbrella Cover
$44.50 | FRONTGATE
Vent-Bettina Brushed Nickel 42-Inch Rotational Ceiling Fan with Metal Blades
Bellacor
Cavaliere-Euro 30-inch Wall Mount Range Hood
Overstock.com