DCS gas cooktop- problem

lazycookSeptember 25, 2013

My cooktop is about 8 yrs old. It has the control knobs with the purple light. Whenever I wipe around the knobs with a wet rag (no detergent) the paint comes off so that all the hi-med-lo signs are no longer there. Does anyone else have this problem? Except for this problem I still love the cooktop especially the simmer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
compumom

YES!!!! My cooktop is about eleven yrs old and I have the same problem. It's by guess & by golly when I use my settings. The first liquid to remove the paint was Simple Green. After cleaning one knob, I stopped. But since just about any cleaner or even a miracle cloth might do it. I haven't contacted DCS/Fisher Paykel, but I assume we're out of luck!

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 12:55PM
jakvis

It has to do with cooking oils. Some types of oils act like a solvent and soften the paint.

Most companies test against most normal cooking oils like vegatable, canola, and most animal fats but every once in a while a "new" oil will become popular that wasn't tested.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 7:02PM
lazycook

At least I'm glad to know that I am not the only one with this problem. As far as an oil dissolving the paint I don't think that would be the problem because I don't use any unusual or new kind of oil. I should call the mfr or go to the shop that sells parts for the DCS cooktop.

Bookmark   September 27, 2013 at 11:12PM
foodonastump

I have a new Bosch range and about the third time using it I noticed on of the knobs got all gummy so I grabbed a wet paper towel to clean it and the paint rubbed right off. I called Bosch who acknowledged the issue and overnighted new knobs which are clearly a different finish. Hope these last more than a week!

All this to say, there's a chance DCS knows about the problem, has corrected it, and will send you new knobs. Worth a call, anyway.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 8:09AM
compumom

I agree, I never fry and when sauteing I use olive oil. It's not the type of oil. My cooktop is 11 yrs old. I doubt they have replacements, but even if they do, it will be hell getting that portion of the knob off of the cooktop without scratching the heck out of it!
Update: just tried to unscrew the escution plate ( that used to hold the markings) and I dropped a screw in to an abyss. The two screws hold in a U shaped metal plate backing which dropped into an inaccessible space. I was able to retrieve it and screw one side back on which will anchor it, the other screw is lost, likely forever.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 3:24PM
More Discussions
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Dishwasher with cutlery tray and heated dry?
I seem to be coming up fairly empty handed with these...
tigger9759
Blue star French door ELECTRIC oven. Opinions?
looking at BS French door 30" ELECTRIC Anyone...
litebags
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Sponsored Products
Nesco PIC-14 Portable 1500-Watt Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel 7-piece Cookware Set
$699.95 | FRONTGATE
Total Chef TCIS11BNG Induction Cooktop Single Burner
Overstock.com
30" Compass Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 900 CFM
Signature Hardware
36" Treviso Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 860 CFM
Signature Hardware