offline/online Windows Live mail

sushipup1July 1, 2013

Have a newer Dell laptop, run Win 7, and get my mail thru Windows Live Mail. But today, it's decided that it is offline. I try to "Work Online" button, but it reverts to offline.

My internet service seems fine, and I've accessed by mail from the ISP's webmail. But I get mail from a couple of services, and I want to sort and file some items. Besides I hate change and liked my Live Mail.

How do I get back online? That used to be my default setting, never had trouble with it.

Signed,

Puzzled

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I found this when I Googled. I

Here is a link that might be useful: This may help

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:39PM
sushipup1

Thank you! That worked. I never ever use IE, only Firefox, wonder how it got messed up!

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:24PM
emma

You are welcome, glad to hear it.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:49PM
DA_Mccoy

Google is your friend.

DA

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:47AM
emma

Google for searching is a great help, I use it all the time. Not only for the pc for everything.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 8:28AM
owbist

And do not overlook Youtube when needing help with things including electronics and all manner of household gadgets. They have a wealth of short repair videos.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:03AM
sushipup1

Yes, I am usually one of the first people to cry out "Google it!", I just didn't think in terms of solving such a problem. I am humbled. ;-o

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:40AM
emma

I have not tried youtube.....yet.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:40AM
emma

Most of my PC problems are software and usually find solutions Googling. It has been so slow in the GW I am going to break the rules and post my favorite wallpaper. Maybe no one will scold me.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:54AM
DA_Mccoy

Anyone who has been here for a while knows my position. I have never swayed from it. Self-help first, and what better way to start than with Google; a few keywords, and some reading. More often than not you have an answer.

Emma,

It's not a matter of scolding. Historically what happened was the threads were at times becoming laden with avatars and off-topic graphics which slowed thread loading down. Since some members are still on a DUN, or a low speed or unreliable connection members took it upon themselves to police threads so that all could read the content. If you greatly miss being scolded let me know. :-)

The attendance here will be this way until after Labor Day. It happens every year. The only burp during that time tends to be during the "off-to-college" computer purchasing time.

DA

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:55PM
emma

There have been a couple of other occasions when just wallpaper threads were started. I always found them interested. That is what got me started collecting them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:15PM
grandms

The slowdown could also be because several of our best helpers have left this forum, probably for good.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 10:56PM
emma

I agree grandms and I miss them especially one of the women. I still write her occasionally.

I see the lack of interest in all the other forums I visit except for the KT. The last time I was there it was hard to keep track of new threads. Maybe some of it is caused by smart phones, Face Book, Twitter, etc.. Maybe some hurt feelings.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 11:31PM
DA_Mccoy

I miss that same member's input regardless of gender. I don't see the need for the distinction.

It is a shame the tension causing member doesn't have a clue, and continues to alienate members.

DA

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:06AM
emma

DA you must be bored today. I mentioned gender because she is the one I remember most. I have written her off and on for years. She is like a friend, a pen pal like in days gone by. I still correspond with her.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:21AM
DA_Mccoy

I'm never bored. Too many employment responsibilities and too many personal things to do.

That's fine. If I posted " one of the men." there are members here, and at other forums I visit, who would surely counsel me on the lack of gender need.

Here, like in so many other places, there are those who waste too much energy as to political correctness and hyper-sensitivity.

DA

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:05PM
emma

I feel the same way DA. Here is one my favorite quotes by one of my favorite people.
-------
The one thing I've always maintained is that I'm an American Indian. I'm not politically correct. Everyone who's born in the Western Hemisphere is a Native American. We are all Native Americans.......

Russell Means - Oglala/Lakota Sioux Indian

He played the father in The Last of the Mohicans

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:53PM
SnidelyWhiplash

DA,

If I'm right in knowing which tension causing member (TCM) you're referring to, I think he is motivated to help and not to cause tension.

For some, any difference of opinion causes tension, whether that's intended or not. But paradoxically as your later comment concerning hypersensitivity and PC-ness shows, some differences of opinion can be difficult to wrap in a pillow and so it is. I think TCM tries to be polite.

TCM has observed a lot of well-intentioned advice and recommendations in this forum that seem more akin to folk remedies than well accepted, mainstream advice. TCM seems to speak up in such cases, and in doing so perhaps (undeliberately) rattled a few cages of those who had become folk medicine dispensers and followers without knowing it. I think there are some who think some of the PC folk medicine that has been entrenched here is real medicine and some don't know the difference.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:02PM
owbist

If I'm right in knowing which tension causing member (TCM) you're referring to, I think he is motivated to help and not to cause tension.

I have always believed that he comes to help those in need. People who are super sensitive should really avoid internet forums. Many forums have forced members to clean up their act in recent times or be banned but there are likely still a few places where one can expect to get flamed in a hurry.

Gardenweb as a whole is a very genteel place to visit but if a member is deemed to be out of order by another individual then it is so easy for the reader to ignore that person and read other posts.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 3:23PM
emma

I was here when one of the other forums split and the new place was uncensored. Well, it took me awhile but I found some censorship is a good thing regarding the internet. I am a sensitive person, that is why I gave up all internet sites except this one. People hide behind the fact no one knows them personally and behave in a way they would never do face to face with a person. There is no excuse for rudeness.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 4:12PM
DA_Mccoy

A member can with little effort share alternative opinion and viewpoints without the perception of being mean-spirited, condescending, demeaning, or rude.

My dearly departed mother, a professional in her own right, use to say, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it".

Enough said.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 9:18

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 8:33AM
SnidelyWhiplash

I'm sure your mother was a wise person. How things are said certainly matter, but what is said matters too.

My view is that comments should be restricted to the opinions and ideas under discussion. Comments about the people offering the opinions and ideas are off-topic and usually irrelevant.

I've been a recipient of such ad hominem comments in this forum. Unless particularly venomous, I ignore them.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 4:32PM
DA_Mccoy

The members here have seen it before and unfortunately we will see it again.

I am finished with all this as I have no powers to change lead into gold.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 17:09

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
Best Windows (XP to W8) purchase PC scan/repair software
Yep, I've given up figuring out where the list of active...
jerry_nj
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
Sponsored Products
Rounded Design Solid Bronze Cable Cover - Bronze Patina
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Reims Light Gold Storage Ottoman
Overstock.com
Monte Design | Joya Wool & Walnut Rocker Limited Edition
YLiving.com
Wild Side Storage Ottoman
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Alpha Lounge Chair in Red
$898.00 | LexMod