Installing knobs on too-thick drawers

gale1965October 14, 2013

I bought some knobs that have the screw coming out of the back of the knob itself (with a nut and washer included) instead of having a separate screw. Naturally they are just barely too short for my bathroom cabinet drawers. Would you drill a bigger hole on the drawer box itself (on the inside) to inset the nut and washer? To do that should I remove the drawer fronts first? I have the same problem in the kitchen, but there are separate screws on the knobs in there so I can just buy slightly longer screws.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka

Can you just leave off the washer?

-Babka

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 10:31PM
sloyder

Yes, drill a larger hole in the drawer box.. Should not have to remove the drawer front if you are careful.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 11:26PM
gale1965

Even if I left the washer off it won't reach. The screw doesn't come out of the hole at all. But it's long enough to clear the drawer front. I'll try it on some scrap first to make sure I can be careful. My concern is that the drawer box was hard to drill through with a regular bit so I'm wondering if it will take considerable pressure on a spade bit and end up drilling too deep. I'll test it. If I have to take the fronts off it won't be a huge deal. There are only two drawers where I have to do this.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 2:26AM
Babka

The knob/screw had to be assembled at some point. Are you sure you cannot remove the screw and put a longer shaft in there? Got a photo? I'd mess with the knob before I mess with the cabinets. You might be making more work for yourself should you decide to use different knobs in the future on those same cabinets.

-Babka

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:30PM
gale1965

I'll have to check it. I bought the knobs at Hobby Lobby. They're in the new house and I'm in the old (no internet in the new one yet) so I'll look when I go back there. Good point about having an issue later if I change knobs.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 1:58PM
gale1965

The screw part appears to be glued in. I'll have to see if I can find regular knobs that I like or decide if I want to mess with these.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 2:59PM
sloyder

I would go with new knobs, the spade bit is too scary, never liked them. More than likely you will have to purchase longer screws, as the ones they give you with the knobs are too small.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 8:55PM
More Discussions
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Why Can't I Find One I Like at All!
The countdown is on. We start the master remodel in...
Monrovia Mom
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™