48" Wolf needing repair...

sdlaneSeptember 14, 2013

I have an opportunity to buy a 48" duel-fuel Wolf range for $4,000. The issue is that the range has been the victim of a flood - it was exposed to a foot of water. It needs wiring repair and some of the SS in the front - the feet and then just about an inch above that.

Would you even consider such a purchase? I really only need a 36" range which is $5400. The idea of having a 48" for the same price (assuming repair is about $1,000-$1,500) is very appealing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barryv_gw

I am a big fan of a bargain, but I would be concerned. Water and electronics don't mix well. I don't know where the computer boards are on that oven, but if they have been flooded, then how long before they act up. The stainless steel exterior should be fine, but the oven walls, hinges, floor, convection fans, racks, and lots of other stuff were not designed to sit in water - and even if the water didn't reach all those parts, they sure were exposed to some high humidity. I would not even consider it with if you can get a new 36 inch with warranty for a similar price.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 6:10PM
wekick

Agree. Why are they getting rid of it? I can't imagine that a repair is $1000-1500. You might have rust you can't see on the oven liner(s). The estimate to replace the liner on my Wolf DF 36 inch oven due to chipping of the enamel is $800 plus in labor plus the part. You would have no warranty on the computer board and even if it worked now but you have problems later- get your wallet out. You might be looking at rebuilding the oven.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 7:38PM
jellytoast

$4,000 is a LOT of money to spend on a range that may never work properly again. And replacing "an inch above the feet" of stainless steel on the front? Wouldn't that involve replacing the doors? An inch above the feet on my Wolf Range means the doors.

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 7:59PM
sdlane

Thanks everyone... "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is..."

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 8:48PM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Parts question: Fridgidaire Gas Stove Igniter
The oven igniter on our gas stove quit working. I went...
Pooh Bear
NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)
Hi All... I've been lucking for the past 6 months while...
nyli2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™