Unwanted Program

gale_tJuly 29, 2012

I just downloaded what I thought was free WinZip to my new Windows 7 computer. It didn't give me a choice whether or not to download an AVG toolbar. I can't uninstall it. I keep getting a box that says do I want this program to upload stuff on this program.

Helllp, I want to get this off of my computer. I'll pay for it, but I want this one outta here!

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DA_Mccoy

It appears Google had this answer. I did a basic search using the keywords "AVG WinZip" (sans quotes) and I readily found a link providing:

"Please note that the WinZip setup tries to install AVG Security Toolbar and sets AVG secure search as your browser homepage.

To avoid installing the toolbar, please choose custom installation during the setup and uncheck "Set, keep and protect AVG Secure Search as my homepage", "Set, keep and protect AVG Secure Search as my default search provider" and "Install AVG Security Toolbar" options."

Based on the above, if it were me with this concern I would remove WinZip using REVO at the advanced setting. When doing so I would give it permission to remove anything it finds relating to WinZip. I would then run CCleaner's registry tool for any orphan entries. Finally, I would reinstall WinZip following the above instructions.

DA

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 6:08PM
SnidelyWhiplash

You don't need WinZip. The capability to manipulate compressed files (create them and extract files from zipped files you get) is built in to Windows 7. Check with Windows Help on your PC, it'll tell you all about it.

As far as making an unwanted toolbar go away, you can usually just go to the View, Toolbars section of a browser's menu, and Unselect the toolbar you don't wish to see. You can leave the files for a safe but unused toolbar on your PC with no adverse effect, you'll never see or know of it again so long as you keep it unselected.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 8:45PM
gale_t

I'm glad I checked in here before download WinZip again. DA, Revo is awesome! Tks, again.

snidely, I didn't know that about Windows 7. That's great. 'Preciate info about the unwanted toolbar, too. Revo didn't get rid of that for some reason.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:29PM
SnidelyWhiplash

Hadn't heard of Revo before, but looking at the website, I'm wondering what need it fills.

Windows does an adequate job of removing most files on an uninstall. Many programs will uninstall themselves. The few relics that are left behind are usual small and harmless. When not, and it's something recently installed, Windows Restore will always roll back to the PC's status before the install.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:06AM
owbist

Snidely Revo is a heave duty program remover. You may have had times when removing using the Add/Remove feature did not do the whole job, Revo would have done that.

May I suggest you try removing a program using Revo to experience it's capabilities, including entries in the Registry. You can the re-install the program if you need it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 6:41AM
DA_Mccoy

Windows does not have an uninstaller. What it does have is a pointer via the Control Panel to the application's uninstaller.

REVO firsts creates a restore point then uses the target application's uninstaller. It then searches for orphaned folders, files, registry entries, etc. An option is provided whether to remove them or not. There is no backup.

Sometimes REVO does not detect anything additional. Sometimes there are just a few. Other times there are many. These are normally deeply configured applications. I used it to remove Word once and it showed almost 2000 orphaned entries. I just used it on FoxIt Reader and it had 463.

DA

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:50AM
More Discussions
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
How to transfer large videos from iPhone to XP
I've read that Windows can't import large videos from...
ginjj
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
A free pdf to jpg program that works well?
I want to tear some pdf's apart, and wondering if someone...
shaddy101
Sponsored Products
Delta Shower Enclosures Simplicity 47-3/8 in. x 70 in. Bypass Sliding Shower
Home Depot
Cuisinart DCC-2800 14-cup Perfec Temp Coffeemaker
Overstock.com
Rubbermaid 4 ft. Configurations Titanium Hanging Rod Kit - FG3H9200TITNM Multico
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Lazy Susan Small Aged Powdered Lotus Petal-Carved Pot
$158.00 | LuxeDecor
Hampton Bay Slipcovers Edington Patio Sectional Slipcover in Sunbrella Canvas
Home Depot
Lazy Susan Champagne Fizz Fluted Vase
$138.00 | LuxeDecor
Witt Industries Single Opening 24 Gallon Blue Recycling Bin - 15RTBL-1H
$272.99 | Hayneedle
Radionic Hi Tech Inc. 54-Watt 1-Lamp T5 High Power Factor Electronic Replacement
$39.99 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™