Carbonite or other cloud backup

mrh7July 24, 2014

I'm about to decide on a cloud backup. Would like one that includes all my files plus programs in case I don't have the original program disk for programs and program updates. Carbonite was recommended by a friend who works for a computer service. Wondered what you thought of the various cloud systems and Carbonite in particular. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

I'm not a fan of online backups, I don't consider it fail-safe. If you have a small amount to back up, buy a couple of thumb drives or SD cards. If you have more, buy a couple of external drives. Make two copies, take one offsite. This hardware is cheap these days.

Also, if you have tens or hundreds of GBs to backup, it can take a long time AND could use up your monthly internet usage quota.

You normally can't back up program files, per se. If you're setting up a new PC or hard drive, programs need to be "installed", not just copied over. Doing so requires either the disks (getting to be rare these days) or a shepherding program that manages a download and installation. If you have purchased programs, a "key code" should be all you would need. Your disaster preparation should be just a list of programs and how to reinstall them. This too should be kept offsite. (One way to do that is to list them in a text file and attach to an email you send to yourself)

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Newer versions of windows have OneDrive working pretty darn well. Maybe compare OneDrive to carbonite with a little reading.

Most people want a 2nd back up too . .I don't really worry about that much .. odds of my pc and online storage dying at same time are great. And, I always have a current system image on a separate drive 20 or 30 gb takes a long time to download when you suddenly have no internet access and that is when you suddenly have a need for something .

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™