Carbonite or other cloud backup

mrh7July 24, 2014

I'm about to decide on a cloud backup. Would like one that includes all my files plus programs in case I don't have the original program disk for programs and program updates. Carbonite was recommended by a friend who works for a computer service. Wondered what you thought of the various cloud systems and Carbonite in particular. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

I'm not a fan of online backups, I don't consider it fail-safe. If you have a small amount to back up, buy a couple of thumb drives or SD cards. If you have more, buy a couple of external drives. Make two copies, take one offsite. This hardware is cheap these days.

Also, if you have tens or hundreds of GBs to backup, it can take a long time AND could use up your monthly internet usage quota.

You normally can't back up program files, per se. If you're setting up a new PC or hard drive, programs need to be "installed", not just copied over. Doing so requires either the disks (getting to be rare these days) or a shepherding program that manages a download and installation. If you have purchased programs, a "key code" should be all you would need. Your disaster preparation should be just a list of programs and how to reinstall them. This too should be kept offsite. (One way to do that is to list them in a text file and attach to an email you send to yourself)

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 8:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Newer versions of windows have OneDrive working pretty darn well. Maybe compare OneDrive to carbonite with a little reading.

Most people want a 2nd back up too . .I don't really worry about that much .. odds of my pc and online storage dying at same time are great. And, I always have a current system image on a separate drive 20 or 30 gb takes a long time to download when you suddenly have no internet access and that is when you suddenly have a need for something .

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:05AM
More Discussions
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
Sponsored Products
Currey & Company Grey Lynton Table Lamp
$490.00 | LuxeDecor
Bocci | 28.16 Square Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Troy Barbell Pro-Style Fixed Dumbbells - Straight Handle with Rubber End Cap & D
$195.99 | Hayneedle
Southport 5-Shelf Bookcase
Home Decorators Collection
POLYWOOD Chairs Euro Textured Bronze/White Patio Bar Arm Chair A202-16WH
Home Depot
Danze® Parma™ Single Handle Lavatory Faucet - Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Custom Kids Flanged Sham
Home Decorators Collection
Hudson Reed Tilt Concealed Thermostatic Twin Shower Valve 1 Outlet
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for: