Rainhead Shower pipe- recommendations? Where to buy?

twingleOctober 14, 2012

I am doing a reno of the family bathroom. I have a tub/shower combo. I want to do a nice rainhead and hand shower combo. Any brand recommendations? Cost? where to buy?? Are you happy with your purchase? Thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
suzanne10023

We went with the American Standard 1660.683.002 rain showerhead, and the Hansgrohe Axor Starck handshower (the one that looks like a microphone). We're thrilled with the rainshower. The hand shower is fantastic too, but if I were doing it again I would have chosen the single-function rather than the double-function version - the second function (water spurting out of the top) is kind of pointless, and it's too difficult to twist the slippery top with soapy hands and change from one function to the other. We just leave it on the main function all the time.

Pictures, and my musings on shower plumbing, here:
http://suzanne10023.blogspot.com/2011/04/april-showers.html

(We went with the Hansgrohe three-way valve and Metris trim, btw. We love the simplicity of the valve, though we had to take the water restrictor out of the hand shower so that it would get its fair share of pressure.)

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:03PM
twingle

Thank you so much. Is your rainhead mounted on the wall or is it on the shower pipe?? Does the rainhead have enough water pressure or is it too gentle to get shampoo out of thick hair?? Where did you buy from? Thx for all the info.

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 10:24PM
suzanne10023

It's on a long arm (20") coming out of the wall, with a support to the ceiling that keeps it from vibrating.

We talked to our contractor about having it come from the ceiling, and I'm not totally sure why that didn't work out. I think it had to do with where the joists and other pipes were. But this is good - it's very high up, nearly on the ceiling anyway; and if we ever got sick of the rainshower, it would be easier to switch to a conventional arm and head.

The pressure is fine- and the handshower helps for rinsing hair (but then I have long thick hair).

Our arm is the Rohl 1120APC 20-Inch Bossini Shower Arm - it was the longest & cheapest we could find. (But if you're interested in a 15" arm instead, please contact me - I bought that first, and then someone threw out the box by mistake, so I can't return it.)

Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™