Right height for marble threshold?

mollyshumomOctober 29, 2007

Our contractor installed marble thresholds in two new baths adjoining bedrooms. However, we have stubbed our toes and tripped several times already when we entered the new bathrooms. Ouch! It seems to me that difference between the wooden bedroom floors and the marble threshold is too great, although it seems to be fine on the bathroom side of the threshold. I am worried that one of us is going to fall. We could probably train ourselves to step up, but I would worry about our guests. What is the appropriate height of a threshold?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

It should be about 3/8", give or take, above the face of the tile. Although many installers will set it up so as to be flush with the floors inside and out, that's actually incorrect. The whole reason marble thresholds were traditionally used in the first place were to act as a small dam, in case of things like the toilet backing up, or whatever. It's SUPPOSED to stick up.

Bookmark   October 29, 2007 at 6:48PM
mollyshumom

The marble threshold is sticking up 1" above the floor, which I think is why we are tripping.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 3:34PM
bill_vincent

Sounds like they may have set it on top of the tile, which is wrong.

Bookmark   November 2, 2007 at 10:16PM
tom_p_pa

"difference between the wooden bedroom floors and the marble threshold is too great, although it seems to be fine on the bathroom side of the threshold"

Your contractor probably increased the height of your bathroom subfloor floor (which was probably 1/2") by adding plywood, thinset, a backerboard, more thinset, and then the tile. Be glad he did the installation correctly. This is creating the height difference between the rooms. You will eventually stop tripping over it. With remodeling...this happens.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 7:04AM
bill_vincent

I agree. I missed that statement in the original post.

Bookmark   November 3, 2007 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
Newbie needs help with bathroom remodel
As a disclaimer, this is my first time remodeling a...
tigo35466
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Console legs for wall-mount sink?
We have installed this sink in our bathroom: http://www.ybath.com/duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin.html?utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google&utm_content=duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&cvosrc=pla.google.duravit-starck-3-double-furniture-washbasin&gclid=CKjNlI3C08QCFYhhfgodmE8A8Q The...
lesleymatson
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Sponsored Products
Nelson Wall Sconce
Lightology
Flowing Fern Green Table Lamp
$217.80 | Bludot
8-button Tufted Mondavi Silver Headboard
Overstock.com
Sure Fit Soft Suede Chair Slipcover - 34539
$44.99 | Hayneedle
Euro Style Furgus White Bar / Counter Stool
$126.00 | LuxeDecor
Xylem Cabinets Bambu 30 in. Vanity Cabinet Only in Dark Bamboo V-BAMBU-30DB
Home Depot
nuLOOM Hand-woven Supreme Flokati Shag Natural Wool Rug (5' x 7)
Overstock.com
Humboldt Park 1Lt Outdoor Ceiling a Black
$84.10 | PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™