Help please computer is slow as dial up

papillon1July 27, 2012

Can anyone help? My computer has slowed to point of dial up speed. I've done everything I can think of disk clean up, run Malware program, CC cleaner restarted modem- nothing found and nothing helped. This morning I got a D3D9 window message. I rebooted & it went away. I am using Firefox and have XP using Verizon. I don't know what's wrong. Any suggestions please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandms

Is it the computer itself that is slow, or is it when you are surfing the Internet? Need to know this first to determine if it is a problem with your computer or with your Internet service. When you say you are using Verizon, is this their FIOS service, DSL, or cellular (3G/4G)? Is the computer slow in booting up and shutting down? Please give a few more details and examples of the slowness.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 3:21PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Try going to speedtest. net and running the test to see what the connection speed is.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 4:04PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You can also install winpatrol free and see what is happening on start up, you may have too much running.
Tell us how much RAM you have and free space, how old is it etc.
You might want to go to administrative tools, event viewer check the various categories and look for red flags double click on it to find out more information and codes to look up. It should tell you about the error message.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 4:12PM
papillon1

OK sorry I did not give enough info. I have an old Dell desktop (2001?) 2.4gh Intel Pent 4. I have 56.63 GB free on hard drive (1278MB useable installed) I have Verizon DSL. It is not really slow to boot up but when I am surfing. Checking mail, connecting to a site, facebook etc.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 5:14PM
nearandwest

Click on Start - Control Panel - Programs and Features; In your list of installed programs, look to see if you have installed any toolbars ( Yahoo toolbar, MSN toolbar, Google toolbar, etc.) If you have any toolbars installed, uninstall them. Toolbars are notorious for slowing down a computer system. Unless you are purposely using the toolbar of a particular installed program, the toolbar is of no use for you, except to slow down your system.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 6:19PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Okay thanks can you please tell us how much RAM memory is on it. And try the speed test site and post results.
A good free program to find all the information for your pc is Belarc advisor, run it and see what turns up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belarc

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 6:26PM
mikie_gw

I'd look in TaskManager at processes for all users.
Click the menu a time or two for CPU & also Memory.
Gives you an idea if somethings using up lots of CPU or Memory constantly.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:48PM
papillon1

Thanks everyone for your input. I think there must have been a problem with my server because last night the computer was back to normal?? I did not find any tool bars listed but I'm sure the one I have must be included in Firefox.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:15AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I think there must have been a problem with my server because last night the computer was back to normal??
Great! Often my ISP is the culprit when my computer slows to a crawl. I don't hesitate to give them a call to see if they are experiencing problems.

Sue

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:33AM
kudzu9

I used to have DSL and it would get slow occasionally. Re-booting the router would usually fix it. When that failed, I would call my ISP. It was always useful to run Speedtest as I was doing these things to monitor my progress.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 4:31PM
DA_Mccoy

Since you are using FF already there is an add-on "Broadband Speed Test and Diagnostic" available. It places an entry on the Tool tab for it to be conveniently on-demand.

I have matched the report against other resources and it appeared in-common with them.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Mozilla.org

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Only free amti-malware? I was told the purchased stuff NG.
I looked for advice a few days back on purchased maintenance/anti-malware...
jerry_nj
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Sponsored Products
Swingading Floor Lamp by Ingo Maurer
$2,110.00 | Lumens
Nourison Vista Ikat Ivory Rug
Overstock.com
Pom Pom Rug in Blaze
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Gleason Single-Hole Pull-Down Kitchen Faucet
Signature Hardware
Lite Source Aged-Copper Adjustable Pharmacy Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus