Tell me about Soft water vs. hard water and dishwashers

sjhockeyfan325September 8, 2013

We are deciding between the Bosch 800 series and a Miele. We live in San Francisco, where I understand we have naturally soft water (mostly snow runoff from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir in Yosemite). What does this mean to me when selecting a dishwasher?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

I found an abstract testing water in San Francisco.

It says in general SF water is very soft but varies from 6ppm (very soft) to 146 ppm (hard or moderately hard).

The Bosch has a manually adjusted built-in water softener.

You pick the level of softening you want and it stays there.

The Miele (except the Classic) has an automatically adjusting built-in water softener. On a given day where the water is 6 ppm it will test it and do nothing. On a given day that it is 146 ppm it will soften it to the ideal hardness level. And when it runs out of salt the dishwasher will tell you on the information screen.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 2:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GWlolo

I live in the SF area as well and part of the year we have reasonably soft water (hetch hetchy) and part of the year when the water supply is from the wells, it is quite hard. We ended up with a whole house softener from Kinetico and turned off the water softener for Miele DW. Soft water basically allows for much better cleaning with the enzymatic cleaners. I find both for DW and laundry, I can use half a tablet or just a TBS of laundry detergent and the end result is much cleaner. I believe products like Limeaway work by acififying the water and making easier for the enzymes to work.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Double ovens - Gaggenau, Bosch, Wolf, Miele
I do realize that there are many posts about this,...
riese1
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)
Hi All... I've been lucking for the past 6 months while...
nyli2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™