How do you change your lightbulbs in high ceiling areas?

gobrunoAugust 4, 2009

Hi all,

If you have super high ceilings, I was wondering how you change (plan to change) your lightbubs. We have a double high foyer entry now, and we have a device that can get to the recessed lights, but that just doesn't work for chandeliers. We are planning chandeliers for the new house, but I was wondering if we should put in a lift so that we could access the lightbulbs. The lifts are really expensive and we'd need it for 2 chandeliers. Is there another solution? What do you all do? Can you hire people to do it? How much would it cost?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janbanks

Just wanted to chime in that we have the same problem - but we didn't think about it until AFTER we built. We are stuck. Hoping some people have ideas and/or cost estimates. TIA

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 12:43PM
creek_side

I use a ladder, but I envy you if you are working from a flat floor.

I have a lamp in a ceiling fan in a stairwell. The idiots who built this house did not slope the stairwell ceiling, so the ceiling fan is on the second floor ceiling above the midpoint of the stairs down to the first floor. There is absolutely no way to reach it without jury rigging a scaffold out of a ladder and a heavy plank.

Painting the stairwell is also a P.I.T.A.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 12:53PM
macv

You can buy a telescoping lamp changers on the internet for fixtures up to 35 ft above the floor. Shorter ones are available at hardware stores and lumberyards.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 1:14PM
creek_side

Those don't work for those of us with chandeliers (OP) or fixtures with globes (moi), macv. I wish they did.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 1:25PM
carolyn53562

Check out chandelier lifts

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier lifts

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 1:26PM
brickeyee

I know a number of people who have run into this.

If there are enough houses in the area someone will have a ladder or lift system and will do the job for $$.

Chandelier lifts start just below $1,000 for a manual crank located in the attic (or a second floor closet) and go up from there for motorized units with controls in the same room as the chandelier.

Raising and lower in the easy part.
The electrical line feeding the chandelier box and canopy that move down must also be part of the hoisting gear.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:41PM
sue36

Our ceiling is too high to work from a ladder, so we have to set up Baker staging and put a ladder on top of that. We tried using those expandable gadgets that remove the can lights, but it didn't work. Our ceilings are about 17'.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 3:49PM
brendamc

I was quoted $600 per lift & wish to goodness we'd done that at framing. I'm living in fear of a chandelier bulb blowing hanging from our 2 26' ceilings... I've heard it's very expensive to get someone out. One of ours is wood, so that's going to need to be cleaned too. Someday.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 4:22PM
brickeyee

"Our ceiling is too high to work from a ladder..."

An a-frame with a trestle extension will do that easily, and even just a large a-frame.

Bookmark   August 4, 2009 at 6:18PM
lsst

We did a manual crank lift for our chandelier.
We did it ourselves for around $650.
It makes such a difference in cleaning the chandelier and changing bulbs.
I used a Chandelease lift system. I noticed it is listed in the This Old House website link mentioned in an above post.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:04AM
bus_driver

The trestle ladder mentioned earlier is illustrated at the link below. Mine is an older Babcock 10' wooden that I store under ideal conditions. The length is the base section. While straddling the top of my 10' unit with center section extended, I can reach to about 22'. Mine weighs 84#. Moving one of these into a finished house and setting it up really requires 2 people to avoid banging up doors and walls. Straddling the top is, in my opinion, the safest way to use the center extension as it permits use of both hands for the work. But it does take some "getting used to".

Here is a link that might be useful: Ladder

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 10:11AM
sue36

It seems like the rolling Baker staging and smaller ladder is easier, but you need to have Baker staging.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 10:44AM
lsst

Before we installed the lift, we purchased a Little Giant
21 foot ladder. It is so heavy and awkward that my husband and I have a hard time moving it. I like the idea Bus Driver suggested of a trestle ladder especially for ceiling fans in a vaulted ceiling, etc.

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 5:53PM
renovator8

Is it 2009 again?

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 10:41PM
randomdeight

While it doesn't necessarily answer your question on how to change chandelier bulbs, it certainly helps to understand how to not change your light bulbs often.

Using LED chandelier bulbs is a great solution to this problem because they last as long as 20 years, so you wouldn't have to change them for a long, long time!

Here is a link that might be useful: LED chandelier bulbs

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 5:08PM
sixteenlittlebrook

follow the directions for an electrical winch, but install a hand winch (60$) in the attic instead of a powered one. put the chandelier on a DC plug and unplug it when you lower it or leave 20 ft slack to hit the floor. good luck

Bookmark   February 22, 2015 at 8:14PM
bry911

Please understand I am not trying to be too mean, as I do this too...But I am trying to be funny.

1 Like    Bookmark   February 22, 2015 at 8:57PM
mrspete

I'm not quite 5' tall, so MOST ceiling lights are a challenge for me. My thoughts:

- Eliminate the problem as much as possible by purchasing those long-life bulbs.
- Choose as many wall-sconce type lights as possible. For example, think about your front porch. It's easier for little people like me to reach two sconces placed on either side of the front door . . . rather than reaching a ceiling-mounted light on the porch . . . and the quality of the light is equivalent.
- Minimize the lights that are genuinely difficult to change, and use a ladder only when absolutely necessary.

Bookmark   February 23, 2015 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Floorplan Feedback-I think we're getting close!
This is the upstairs. The office in the lower corner...
edwardshome
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Over thinking or detailed
We have not even poured the slab yet, and I find myself...
ourgeorgiahouse
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates hous
My husband and I have been planning our new house for...
DivinityMorgan
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Southampton Black 4 ft. x 6 ft.
Home Depot
Safavieh Paradise Treasure Blue Ceramic Garden Stool
Overstock.com
Smart White Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Quoizel Powell PWL83 Outdoor Wall Lantern - PWL8307WT
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Brent Black Dining Table For 6
bryght.com
Yellow 'Bake Me Happy' 3-Qt. Mixing Bowl
$28.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for: