How did you minimize/eliminate grout in your home?

ynnejOctober 31, 2011

I am on a no-grout mission! The less grout, the better. How did you minimize grout in your bathroom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidro1

web search for kerlite and post again.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 5:29PM
weedyacres

Don't use tile. :-)

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 7:27PM
OrchidOCD

12"x12" or larger natural stone (granite or marble) or rectified porcelain tiles, 1/16" spacing and non-sanded grout. With a grout that matches the tile, the grout lines are very unobtrusive - 1/16" is a narrow line, I think it's what's recommended for tile counters.

I love tile, so that's what I gravitate towards for BRs, but I do have 1 powder room with a wood laminate floor that looks great, wears like iron and is very easy to clean. Lots of non-tile options if you really don't want grout. I like the look of grout 'setting off' certain tiles, though, so the grout lines in my home range from 1/16" - 3/8", depending on the location/use/tile. the narrower spacing is definitely easier to keep looking pristine.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 9:44PM
ynnej

Thank you! Kerlite looks interesting, I've never heard of it before. I wasn't able to find much information on it, though. I love the look of tile as well. I've never had to clean tile with 1/16 spacing like you've described. My mother has it in her shower and it always seems dirty to me (and they have a maid come once a week... should you have mildew and dirty grout if you have a maid?) Well, I've gotten off subject. Thanks for the responses!

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 10:06PM
desertsteph

look for tile that goes together like laminate flooring. floating, no adhesive used.

no grout. It has been used on hgtv lately several times.

Bookmark   October 31, 2011 at 11:13PM
bishop8

Ditto on the no grout/caulking. For our steam shower we used stonecraft. I think similar products go by different names (I.e. Jewelstone). Looks like tile/ no actual grout lines. We've had it for 4mos now and it's been great!

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 1:17AM
xueli

I used 24" rectified, through bodied tiles with matching colored unsanded grout for my kitchen countertop. I have pictures in my kitchen blog if you would like to see. I am very pleased with it and I have been leaning toward doing the same for my bathroom countertops, especially since I have enough leftover tile. However, it was not easy working with the large tile and small grout lines. There were many tiles wasted, but it was still way cheaper than granite or corian.

I'm leaning away from using tile on the walls above the bathtub, because I like to spray down the walls with vinegar after I shower, and vinegar is corrosive for grout. So, I will probably get some sort of solid wall panels. I have faux marble panels now, and although they aren't the current style, they are very easy to clean.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen blog

Bookmark   November 2, 2011 at 11:48PM
bill_vincent

look for tile that goes together like laminate flooring. floating, no adhesive used.
no grout. It has been used on hgtv lately several times.

I would NOT use that in a bathroom. I'd be afraid that water would get underneath it and destroy not only the new floor, but the subfloor as well. I'm with weedyacres on this. THe only way to go grout free is not to use tile. To minimize it, as others have said, rectified porcelain, or natural stone is the way to go.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 5:41AM
davidro1

epoxy grout is different. It might please the OP.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 9:20AM
bill_vincent

Agreed.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 3:49PM
lee676

An acrylic or fiberglass one-piece tub or shower module that includes the three surrounding walls plus the shower pan or bathtub. A cinch to keep clean, no caulk or grout lines anywhere. Armrests, soap dishes, and handles are built in. The better ones look quite nice. Note that 2- or 3-piece versions are available if you can't fit a one-piece unit into your bathroom and you don't wan't to temporarily remove part of a wall.

For flooring you can use sheet vinyl, or in some cases laminate, although I'm fine with larger ceramic tiles for flooring.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™