Unlevel Stairs...Worth the Fuss?

avance7August 3, 2012

We are in the final stages of building our new home and have even started moving in as we just lack some trim work and staining the main staircase in the living room.

My friend, the perfectionist, noticed that the stair treads have a slight downwards slope to them. The slope goes from back to front, not side to side and is about 1/8 ". You cannot even feel it going up or down.

He thinks we should tell the contractor to rip them out and start over. Is this really such a big deal? Are all stairs 100% level? Seems like alot of trouble over such a small thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
niteshadepromises

Personally, if you've been up and down those stairs and aren't tripping (and aren't a perfectionist), Why stress yourself over it :)

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 6:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz

The stairs are probably within code which, as I recall, generally requires that there be less than a 1 part in 48 slope. A 12" deep tread could have up to a 1/4 inch rise/fall from front to back and still meet code. And I've actually heard people say that having the tread very slightly sloped (with the nose end slightly lower) actually makes the stairs more comfortable to climb.

Personally tho, I would be concerned that having the nose end slightly lower than the back of the step might increase the chances of having your feet slip out from under you when coming downstairs...especially if the stairs will hardwoods and your family is in the habit of running around in their socks without shoes on.

Falling on the stairs is NOT FUN. I just slipped on my stairs last week while coming downstairs without my shoes on. I still have a HUGE ugly and very painful bruise on my gluteus maximus from hitting the nose of one step hard as I fell. And I only bounced two additional steps downward from that point before I reached a landing. (Felt every bounce. LOL!) I'd hate to imagine what condition I might be in if I had fallen down an entire flight of steps.

But, if your stairs are going to be carpeted, or if you don't tend to run around in sock-feet like I do, that 1/8th difference from front to back probably isn't going to matter.

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Need Advice On What To Do Next
My wife and I have our hand drawn plans of our home....
ghjtyubnm
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Floorplan review
Hi everyone. My husband and I are working on building...
sarahbr2
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
Doorstopper Dillema
We moved in about 2 weeks ago and are really happy....
aimless07
Sponsored Products
Stone Harbor Runner 2'6" x 8'
$599.00 | Horchow
Chatham Grey and Ivory Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 11 Ft. Rug
$148.95 | Bellacor
Lincrest 4 3/4" High Black LED Step Light
Lamps Plus
New Lori Buft Mocha Beige Striped Hand Knotted Wool 3x12 Gabbeh Runner Rug H5813
BH Sun Inc
Vinyl Molding & Trim: Cap A Tread Flooring Alabama Oak 47 in. Long x 12-1/8 in.
$54.98 | Home Depot
Persian Legend Moss and Beige Runner: 2 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$257.95 | Bellacor
Mirrored Frame 35 1/2" Wide Moonlight Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Solvit Deluxe Sta-Put Hammock Seat Cover - 62339
$43.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™