Shower: Acrylic finish vs Porcelain tile

maggiemaOctober 30, 2010

HELP ME WITH MY SHOWER!

I am renovating my Master bath which has a 48" shower stall, no tub. A major concern is upkeep - I really want to select material that will be easy to clean. If I use porcelain ceramic tile I will use an off white/gray grout so it will hold up better over time. The tile lady said that tile is easier to clean than acrylic because it is less porous, but she has a vested interest in selling it.

If I go with acrylic, it will be a white, one piece unit. When it is new it will look nice and pristine, but what will it take to keep it clean? Toilet and sink will also be white.

With either option I will be installing frameless glass across the front and down half a side to make a small bathroom appear more spacious.

Does anybody have firsthand knowledge to share?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrighthouse

It really comes down to aesthetics. If upkeep is a major overriding factor to looks, then go with the acrylic because if you can get an acrylic, one-piece unit into the space, it will be easier to clean than the tile. There is nothing porous about it. Years ago, I put an single piece Aquaglass unit into a rental apartment, and my tenant loves it--no grout, no caulk in the wet area. But I'm wondering if you can get a one-piece unit in the configuration you describe. You mention a half wall on one side?

When I remodeled my own master bath, I installed ceramic tile with glass accents on the walls because it is prettier than acrylic and will definitely make a difference when it comes to resale in this area. As a concession to maintenance, I chose to go with an acrylic base that matches the garden tub next to the shower.

In either case, to make cleaning easier, make sure to include a hand shower among the fixtures or as the showerhead if you are only installing one.

Bookmark   October 31, 2010 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
Bertch 60" single bowl vanity for hall bath
I would appreciate some advice and insight on my dilemma....
Sofia Akhter
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Vanity color in small bath with wood trim
We are going to remodel our half bath/laundry room...
hazelwags
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™