Where did my F drive go?

surya55_gwJuly 24, 2013

Hi- please I hope someone can help me. I just inserted a card reader and it won't scan so I checked to make sure my F drive's there and it's not. I haven't done anything to my computer, so I'm at a loss. I have a lot of pics I want to download to my laptop. Please help me.

TIA,
Nerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

For starters, you need to clarify. Is your F: a partition of your existing hard drive which is always displayed when you use Windows Explorer, or is it the drive letter that shows up when you plug-in the card reader?

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 12:50PM
DA_Mccoy

K9,

I am certain it is the reader.

Nerry,

My first guess is you used the Windows "safe to remove utility" on the drive. I am correct a reboot most likely will restore your awol drive.

DA

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 3:45PM
owbist

Nerry you do not say which version of Windows?

Anything Win 7 and prior right click on the Start button then click 'Explore' or 'Windows explore'. You should then see your drives listed on the left side of the screen, click on any to highlight and view the contents on the right side.

Windows 8 you should have a folder on the taskbar near where the start button is on older versions.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 6:28PM
jean001a

Remove the card, then reinsert it. Several times if needed.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 8:57PM
DA_Mccoy

She reported the drive selection indictor was missing. A reboot restores it.

I've had it happen to me with my USB connected printer when I have selected the wrong drive when using the "safe to remove utility" for my thumb drive. If I was a betting man.....

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:04

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 7:50AM
kudzu9

It would be nice to hear something back from the OP...

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 11:10AM
surya55_gw

Great news guys! Don't what what happened but I reinserted the card reader and it suddenly worked! Wow! I am humbled indeed to be getting all of this great advice. I will remember it for future ref. Thank you all so much:-)

Nerry

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 8:44PM
DA_Mccoy

Glad your ok now.

Just wondering, did you shut down your system during the time between your two posts? Perhaps the end of the day on the 24th?

DA

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:25PM
surya55_gw

DA,

Actually, I was sort of impatient and kept checking quite often during that same day and it worked the very same day. Sorry for the late response.

Nerry

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 1:18PM
DA_Mccoy

That's fine as at least you are kind enough to come back to post. You'd be surprised how many members ask for assistance, and when receiving same never come back to report. Both success and failure are learning tools for us all.

Again out of curiosity, did you at any time reboot, or shut down and subsequently start up between your original post and the restoration of the drive indicator?

DA

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
Question about Google cache
Hi folks, I have posted a thread in the Kitchens forum, because...
mudhouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™