Give friend wireless password?

secsteveJuly 16, 2014

A friend (whom I trust very much) is coming to visit and asked if I have wireless networking and could he access it when he visits.

I know I have wireless as Verizon told us that when they installed FIOS. The tech pointed out the side of the modem and the label there (which I don't think peels off, or if it does, not easily) with User name, password, Wireless Network name and Wireless password. Of course, anyone can see it.

If I understand correctly, all that does is allow user to access the internet, correct? So there would be no harm in his using the password. Or is there more to it then that?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

I'll keep it simple. Depending on how it's set up (the details don't matter), they might be able to access your PC if it's turned on at the same time. Or other things I don't need to mention. BECAUSE.....

This is someone you trust very much, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Of course let them use your internet connection, that makes you a nice host.

Visitors to my house are always welcome to use my wifi. I don't have visitors I don't trust, there would be bigger things to worry about anyway.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 2:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

"I know I have wireless as Verizon told us that when they installed FIOS. The tech pointed out the side of the modem and the label there (which I don't think peels off, or if it does, not easily) with User name, password, Wireless Network name and Wireless password. Of course, anyone can see it."

That is your DEFAULT password, and you should change it because anyone - ANYONE - who can try out the small number of default passwords for that modem can use your wireless connection. For whatever they want.

Unless the Verizon installer locked down the network, which they seldom do.

Read the instructions and set a new password. See if your modem allows a guest account - some do.

A good password would be the first few words of something you can remember but that aren't directly connected with you or your life ...

A minister should not use "DearlyBelovedWeAreGathered" ... but a mechanic could. For a while my wireless password was "YouHaveTheRightToRemainSilent" ...

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
oldschool
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™