Live CD Security

mxyplxJuly 9, 2012

Skipping many bloody details I had to reformat my old computer (XP/Home) and the only way I could was to install W/XP Pro off the disk from my "new" comp. So I didn't enter the activation code which gives me 30 days to figure out something else. Of course it's not updated and there's no virus protection etc and at this writing it's off line. And I've no intention of using it as it was just a means to an end.

But if I just run live-CD-only-linux on line will there be any real security threat via the unprotected install?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

why don't you just install a distro of linux on it and just use that? running by live cd is fine but it will run very very slow because it is only using the resources of the cd drive.

Try one of the live cds in it if it runs good and looks good then go ahead and install it you can always just wipe it off and do something else later. My main pc runs Mepis linux, that is what I am using right now.

You have very little to worry about running linux concerning infection.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 12:34PM
mxyplx

I will eventually. Had Mepis 8.5 on as dual boot and tried to remove it via the Mepis Manual instructions. A disaster. If I wrote it up you'd probly have a good laugh (me too now) but it's too long. :-)

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 1:19PM
owbist

Is this old confuser a home build or factory? If a factory build then simply use the 25 digit key attached to the outside of the case. That is perfectly legal and you will get activation so you can update to SP3 and all the security updates.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 7:32PM
More Discussions
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
Win 8 network settings
I need to export my network settings to a flash drive...
carolssis
Someone have a link for free Chrome browser?
I have been having troubles downloading files from...
shaddy101
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™