Q. for Fori (and everyone else)

eleenaSeptember 28, 2012

Fori,

I am not sure you'll be reading the older AGA thread again, so I am posting my question separately as it does not have anything to do with AGA anyway.

You said:

"Perhaps you can also increase your effective counterspace by having pullouts surrounding the cooking area--I mean old school breadboards. Sturdy and useful and only in the way when you need them."

Could you elaborate, please?

I have been thinking along those lines for a long time but I don't know how to implement it.

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

I think fori means a pull-out similar to mine. There are different ways of constructing these. They slide in and out right under the counter. They can also be placed between drawers. I use mine when I need extra counter space.

Lapboard pull-out

It's over Winnie's house

Here's a thread with some pictures of pull-out boards. I wish I'd put one near my microwave for a landing spot.

Here is a link that might be useful: pull-out cutting boards

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 12:31PM
eleena

Thanks, Ginny!

It took me awhile to figure out the "It's over Winnie's house" thing. I was about to go to FKB and search for "Winnie's kitchen", LOL.

For some reason, I thought Fori meant those school/college lecture room chairs with a board that one should first slide out then pull up (something like that). And I couldn't figure out how to make it work in the kitchen.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 1:36PM
ginny20

Sorry, you're right, I wasn't clear. I just wanted to show how it looked when it wasn't pulled out, and that's the best picture I have of it. You can see the little round knobs.

Winnie does think it's her kitchen.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 2:01PM
eleena

Oh, no "sorry", that was incredibly helpful.

In fact, it would be very easy to do and will "kill two birds with one stone".

But I am still curious about the other option.

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 2:17PM
Fori is not pleased

Yeah, that! Although Ginny's is an unusually nice example. Go into any kitchen over 20 years old and it's likely to have a simple board that pulls out tucked under the counter. Some rest on a drawer (they tend to be more sturdy).

Google image search "kitchen cabinet breadboard" and you'll get some. Like this one--didn't you have one when you were a kid? My mother actually used hers for rolling out dough--we had tile counters so there wasn't anywhere else. The old style ones pull out completely and can be used on the counter top or just as a pullout handy shelf.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 3:51PM
eleena

OK, I guess I misunderstood. :-)

No, my parents did not have one. But their kitchen was pitiful, seriously, and they have never remodeled it even they talked about it many times. :-( I guess, they just got used to it and "made do" with whatever they had. :-)

TX!

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
54" Zephyr Monsoon II vs. Best by Broan 54" Potenza - Clear Winner??
GW, Ahhh - my favorite place to be the past 12 months...
Andrew K.
New cooktop slightly smaller than old cutout in granite
I have a 36 " gas cooktop in my granite countertop...
chirs1
48 inch Dual Fuel Range and single wall oven Choices
I am glad I found this forum by accident if not I wont...
hkwan
Wolf gas/induction modules
We must make a commitment to appliances next week for...
judydenver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™