Windows Defender antivirus or malware

emmaJuly 3, 2014

Usually when I install an anti virus windows defender is automatically turned off. This morning I got a windows update notice for Windows Defender definition. I opened WD, it was on and it kept mentioning stopping malware not viruses. I was curious and googled Windows Defender on W 7 and I came up with the same thing. In Windows 7 forum someone was asking the same question" is it anti virus or malware" one of the techs said it was for malware. Are they just calling viruses malware?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DA_Mccoy

The industry continues to confuse users though they themselves also contribute to the confusion.

I personally have always thought of malware as the umbrella term for negative-focused software followed by the defining categories; virus, trojan, bot, keylogger, etc. However, it seems now everything is lumped together.

It's similar to the terms update and upgrade. There use to be a widely recognized line drawn between the use of the two words. Now a days both the industry and users have blurred that line.

The Google page below has several definition entries for your review as to "malware".

Here is a link that might be useful: Google

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 11:36AM
emma

So does that mean it's an anti virus software and I should turn it off when I am using Avast. If it is an antivirus is it a good one. AVG deleted something I needed, Avast didn't stop 2 infections, but it sure let me know I was infected. I get kind of tired of fixing things.......nah, I don't mean that. It keeps me busy and I enjoy every minute of it. If I didn't have this machine to fight with.............I would be stirring up trouble with my HOA.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 11:59AM
aputernut

My Windows Defender is off, I use only AVG2014 and malewarebytes both Free versions for many yrs. on all 4 of my PC's 3-W7's and 1 new W8 and no problems, and AVG will not delete anything important, that is entirely on you.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 2:29PM
DA_Mccoy

Unless I totally misunderstood my readings, AVs and malware detection applications are niche services. Though there might be some slight overlap, they focus directly on certain areas of attack.

I have been an AVG Free user for as long as I can remember, and have installed it on systems for others I hopefully am assisting. (When the choices are offered to the owners I am commonly asked, "What do you use?").

No AV is perfect, and they all have had false positives at one time or another so it is the users responsibility to make the final decision as to removal. That's why the application should be configured to ask before removing threats.

AVG Free is on this W8/8.1 and WD has been turned off. MWB and SAS are current, and in standby in case something does occur. However, I do run them every couple of weeks just as a look see. No conflicts when being activated from on-demand status.

DA

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 3:54PM
emma

I saw what it found but I didn't know what it was, I just trusted it. I should have googled what it found and then decided to delete it or not. Thanks

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 4:18PM
SnidelyWhiplash

"Unless I totally misunderstood my readings, AVs and malware detection applications are niche services. "

I think this depends on the particular software, the intended message and context of the conversation.

Just as an example (not intended as proselytizing), I use what I think of as Norton Anti Virus. But it's really the Norton Internet Security system. It's a suite of many, many programs and routines that handle a large number of functions. Website reputation, antivirus-malware-spyware-phishing blocking and removal, firewall, temp file cleanup, safety of files downloaded from websites or emails, email scanning, and on and on. Other than the occasional message that pops up, it's invisible. AND, it schedules scans on the fly for only when the PC is not in use. It never interrupts or delays other activity. I never touch it, never schedule anything, and almost never see anything.

I think all the best in class products (there are maybe 4 or 5 best choices) are similar to what I described, comprehensive "systems". They're well worth the modest annual cost.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 4:45PM
DA_Mccoy

Suites are more prevalent in commercial releases. However, in free versions wouldn't most be limited to traditional services; computer/Internet, e-mail, and an optional firewall?

DA

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 8:38PM
SnidelyWhiplash

If by commercial you mean "not free", then yes, you're right.

It's seemed to me that many of those posting on this forum with problems of PCs that have become disabled or infected have been using so-called "free" software. We both know that there are other issues that can contribute to such problems and that nothing is 100% effective. But I still scratch my head about why some people don't learn lessons and at least try a different approach following repeated problems.

Many of these same people may spend more money in a week on coffee or alcohol than what a year's subscription to a good security suite would cost. Life's about choices, I spend money on those things too, but it's really a foolish economy to think that cobbling together separate and uncoordinated programs, as you correctly describe, provide a comparable function. I think they don't.

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 12:22AM
DA_Mccoy

"But I still scratch my head about why some people don't learn lessons and at least try a different approach following repeated problems."

Yup.

DA

Bookmark   July 4, 2014 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Sponsored Products
Each 108"L Antiquity Curtain
$275.90 | Horchow
Pistachio Stripe Blackout Back-tab Pole Pocket Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
2" Aluminum Wall Tile with Window Pane Design
Signature Hardware
Cone Satin Nickel 28 to 48 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$60.95 | Bellacor
Achim Heartland Valance - HDVL13BU04
$16.99 | Hayneedle