Help - Prime or not under tile - Hydroban over drywall mud?

chgojudyinazOctober 22, 2012

Hi,

I am confused about what to do about prepping my bathroom walls for tile. I have hardibacker in the shower area that the tile guy will cover completely with Hydroban, including the pan (there is no poly behind the hardibacker). The hardibacker joints will be thinset. The CBU/drywall joint was done with regular mesh tape and drywall mud by the drywaller. So it feathers onto the CBU, with a little bit in the actual wet area. Does that need to be removed or sanded down before the Hydroban goes on?

Also I am doing a tile wainscot on regular drywall. The drywaller got some mud and texture (light knockdown) a few inches down into the wainscot area. Does that have to be removed before tiling? Should the raw drywall wainscot area be primed or completely hydrobaned before the tile is installed? Does it make a difference whether thinset or mastic is used for the wainscot in the dry area as to whether or not it should be primed/hydrobaned? I am assuming that the wainscot area shouldn't be painted.

Thanks!

More Discussions
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
help choosing modern recessed lighting.
Oh my goodness this seems to be the hardest part of...
Edie Nicosia
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
design help- white quartz countertops on vanity?
we are building a home & I am struggling with design...
misschris15
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™