Need a new cable modem

aellis722July 15, 2014

I need to replace my Comcast all in one cable gateway because I am having problems with it yet again. I thought about going out and buying the Motorola SB6141 cable modem. My question is should I buy the Motorola modem now, or wait till the DOCSIS 3.1 standard becomes available? To be honest wile I know what DOCSIS stands for I really don't know what it all means. What do you think of the Motorola SB6141?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

All in one = modem and router in same box

SB6141 is modem only. I have its predecessor (6121) and it's been fine for the past few years. (a modem is like brakes on your car, they either work and all's well or they don't and you have a problem). I think Motorola makes decent modems. If you get that, you'll need a router too. I prefer separate units, but either separate or an all in one will both get you where you want to be. The all in one's I've worked with have been only mediocre at both tasks, I try to get better function with better separate components.

DOCSIS is simply the standard used for over the cable communications. Think of it as a language, like Spanish, all the connections need to speak the same or compatible languages. As an average user, you will NEVER detect a difference in a such a small number version difference, no need to wait. DOCSIS 3.0 is reasonably current, capable, and works fine to speeds that are in excess of most people's connections.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 1:41AM
aellis722

Thanks for the reply, I knew all that about the Motorola cable modem being only a cable modem, that is fine with me. I have a router that I can still use. Thanks for explaining the DOCSIS standard to me. I was thinking the same about just going with 3.0 now and not waiting for 3.1, but I wanted other oppressions. You are right about the all in one gateways they all suck from what I have seen. The one I have now keeps dropping signal, or is just very inconsistent in general. Thats why I was looking to buy a cable modem, so I can tell Comcast where they can stick it.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 2:28AM
aellis722

Went out and bought the Motorola SB6141 cable modem and having problems hooking it up. I hooked it up then called Comcast to activate it and not able to connect to the internet. Everything looks good on there end, or so they say but no luck getting it connected. What could be the problem? Just for the record I am running mac. I go to system preference click on network and it says several thinks depending on the time I look at it first message I got says that I don't have anything connected to to the ethernet port, second thing said something like while there was a ip address it was unable to connect and the latest i saw was it only had a message telling me that ethernet has a self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I should do? Comcast is telling me its not there end and it has to be my computer, but when I hook the rented modem back up everything works fine.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
Only free amti-malware? I was told the purchased stuff NG.
I looked for advice a few days back on purchased maintenance/anti-malware...
jerry_nj
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
Sponsored Products
Foscarini | Stewie Floor Lamp
YLighting
Mediterraneo Soap Dish by Alessi
$60.00 | Lumens
Claudo LED Pendant
Lightology
Flame Zig Zag Giclee Glow Bronze Balance Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Articulate Vinyl Office Chair in Black
$129.00 | LexMod