Where did the contents of the folder go?

gmom74July 31, 2013

There is a folder in My Documents where I had placed a number of different things to save. I pulled it up yesterday to read an article I'd saved and found it's gone. I hovered the pointer over it and it tells me it is empty. I did a search for several things that were in it and found nothing. What could have happened to the contents of the folder? It's maddening.
Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

Sometimes when I save things, I move a little too fast and end up saving to another folder without realizing it. Can you confirm that the things you are looking for were there in the first place? Folders don"t mysteriously empty themselves. I suggest you do a search on your hard drive with a keyword from the title to see if it might be elsewhere on the drive.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:12PM
gmom74

Thank you, Kudzu. I had done a search and could find nothing. However, I checked my external drive and ,thankfully, had backed the folder up. Maybe the way I used to back up that folder caused it to empty. But I don't remember how I did it-
Just goes to show that back up is important.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:38PM
kudzu9

Great...but still a mystery. However, if you backed up manually, you could have done cut and paste, rather than copy and paste. Done that myself, too!

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:55PM
shaddy101

I experienced a LOT of that when I first got the new computer and W7. Know that I am in minority here, but after much discussion with tech, he rebuilt the new machine, and haven't had any trouble since. Where those folder contents went are and always will be a mystery, and I did google, and found W7 has a propensity for that, losing folders. Still don't know why.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:51PM
gmom74

I still have XP- usually I use copy and paste but perhaps I just dragged the contents over to the Seagate. That maybe would have emptied the folder. When I use copy I have to be careful to hit 'copy' and not 'cut'. I've made that mistake before, too.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:01PM
kudzu9

shaddy-
I can understand lost folders sometimes, but the issue of a folder being emptied and still there is somewhat more perplexing.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 12:20AM
shaddy101

kudzu, if you ever come up with an answer for that issue, please post it here, I am still hoping to find the contents, floating out there in cyberspace somewhere. To know you did something, to know you put the folder in a specific place, and to come back even a few hours later, and the folder is completely empty, blew my mind, more than once.

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 10:34PM
kudzu9

shaddy-
I think you have mystical computer powers that are far in advance of most of us!

Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Chrome browser crashes
Every time I click a link to open with Chrome browser,...
grandms
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™