undermount bathroom sink gap

illinigirlOctober 7, 2013

Hi,
I usually post on some of the other boards here at GW, my first bathroom post I think. We recently toured a home built by our builder and I immediately noticed in the bathroom how there is a large gap in between the countertop and the undermount sink. It's definitely something I'm going to have to pay attention to in order to avoid the same happening in the home we are going to start building soon. Can you tell me where the issue is here:

[img][/img]

Is it a problem with the installation of the countertop or is it the sink itself? How tight a fit is reasonable to expect with an undermount bathroom sink? (I would hope pretty darn tight). This particular setup looks like a cleaning disaster. If the issue lies with the sink, what do I need to look for in the sinks we choose to have a tighter fit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GreenDesigns

The problem is that the sink has an eased inside edge and not perfectly angled flat to fit against the underside of the stone. The fabricator should have cut the sink hole larger, to give more of a reveal of the sink edge, so that it contacted the stone where it is flat. This could be exacerbated by it not being a true undermount sink that is attempting to be undermounted. Or, it could be a hand made sink that isn't flat and can't be properly mounted without a gap. It's difficult to say exactly without viewing the installation in person.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:59PM
illinigirl

thanks, I'll review the sink selections carefully with the fabricator when the time comes.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 4:25PM
enduring

Excellent picture and explanation of the potential problems. This is a detail that I need to consider as I change my sink focus. The gap looks equal all the way around so the revealed edge that GreenDesigns mentioned is probably the solution to this rather ugly installation.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 12:10AM
Trebruchet

This is not a plug, but I was just in the local Silestone warehouse and saw they now have a seamed undermount sink that matches the countertop. You can now get a "Corian" seamless look in engineered stone, but expect your fabricator to charge plenty.

Bookmark   October 8, 2013 at 1:40AM
divotdiva

if that's true and you like Silestone, I would be tempted to try that. Love my kitchen corian sink that is seamless with the counter.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 1:02AM
Babka NorCal 9b

Why are you worried?l What will get up there? It is not a cleaning disaster.

We had our countertop cut to overhang the undermount Lacava sinks by 3/4". I just run a cloth unter that rim when I clean them. If you have an overflow on your sink, what do do figure will get up there? Nothing but dust. Choose the sink reveal that you like. Relax.

-Babka

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 1:40AM
More Discussions
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
recommend sink for combo powder/bath
am planning combo laundry/half bath. side by side washer...
elleninmaine
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Sponsored Products
Teak Tub Steps
Signature Hardware
Sleek White Aluminum Wall Sconce with Acrylic Diffuser
ParrotUncle
Kraus C-GVS-910-15mm-15200CH Clear Alexandrite Glass Vessel Sink and Decorum Fau
$309.95 | Hayneedle
Vail No. 31002 Bath Bar by Access Lighting
$170.00 | Lumens
Sonneman | Wave 2-Light Bath Bar
$310.00 | YLighting
Sherry Kline Sedona 5-piece Bath Accessory Set
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™