Help: refrigerator water line pulsing

tom_g_dcSeptember 28, 2013

Hi. I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my refrigerator. It is a Kitchenaid KBRS20ETSS01. It has a water filter that mounts inside the cabinet near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. The water comes into this filter and then seems to leave via another line down to the inlet valve where it splits to feed the drinking water outlet and icemaker.

The trouble is it will be working fine but after about 12 oz. of drawing drinking water there is a loud pulsing sound and the water flow slows dramatically. The pulsing will continue even if I let it rest a few minutes before starting to fill again but is immediately resolved if I just unseat and then reseat the water filter.

I originally thought it was probably the inlet valve (and that might still be right but am looking for your wisdom here), but when I pulled out the fridge from the wall, as best I can tell, the pulsing can only be felt in the line coming from the floor into the filter, not in the part from the filter to the valve.

I have tried replacing the filter with a new filter and the problem is the same. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_g_dc

I *think* (fingers crossed) I may have figured this out so I thought I'd post a follow up in case others have this problem in the future.

It appears the problem is with the Water Filter Head (part 67006524) that the filter mounts on to. The filter head has an integrated valve (presumably so it doesn't spray on you when you change the filter) that may not fully open when the filter is in place. I found a description of the valve on another site and it actuates when two little plus-shaped buttons are depressed by the filter. So to get them to depress further I cut a little washer out of foodsafe plastic of the right size and put it in between the head and the filter so they get pressed down further. So far so good.

Bookmark   September 28, 2013 at 2:49PM
More Discussions
How to decide on refrigeration? High versus low end.
We are a family of 4 with growing kids; cook almost...
acaba
Bosch 500 Series
Any thoughts on the Bosch 500 evolution series? My...
queensinfo
Can Viking refuse a refund on a range?
On a cobalt blue range and microwave actually. Both...
smtebo61
wall ovens - Wolf M Series, Gaggenau, or Bosch Benchmark
I am desperately trying to make a decision about my...
riese1
36" induction cooktop with bridge
So far we've only found two 36" induction glass-top...
woodysapsucker
Sponsored Products
Lakeland Old Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture
$320.00 | Bellacor
Permafresh Mattress Protector Multicolor - 2041769
$16.00 | Hayneedle
Free Standing Soap Dispenser Made From Thermoplastic Resins in Transparent Finis
TheBathOutlet
Thayer Polished Nickel One-Light 30.5 Inch Table Lamp with White Shade
$449.00 | Bellacor
Ziploc Storage & Organizers Large and Jumbo Space Bag Combo Set (2-Piece)
Home Depot
Hospitality Rattan Outdoor Soho Wicker Chaise Lounge with Wheels
LuxeDecor
Line Up Duchess 2-piece Window Valance
Overstock.com
Korver Leather Sofa - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™