FYI - my makeup air solution

fourambluesSeptember 5, 2012

The code for makeup air is not enforced where I live, but I wanted some sort of makeup air for peace of mind. We just couldn't/wouldn't pay for conditioned makeup air. So I lurked around here and some builder forums for any info I could find. This is what I came up with:

(A very quiet 500 CFM duct booster fan controlled by a switch under the cabinet next to the range)

(A motorized damper controlled by same switch)

The ducting is all in the ceiling. The intake is the proper distance from the hood exhaust, and the ducting terminates with an unobtrusive vent cover about 5' from the range. Sure, it doesn't turn on automatically when the hood goes on, but I use it only when the hood is on high.

So that's my $166 solution to the makeup air problem (not including the contractor's time to install the stuff). So far so good!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedmeister

It wouldn't be a big stretch to wire this in such a way that it activated when the hood was on high.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:11PM
fouramblues

I wish I'd realized that was possible, weedmeister! That's what I wanted to do, but thought it was an all or nothing proposition...

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 5:03PM
jakvis

I'm not sure why a booster fan would be required. After all you are just replacing the air that you are blowing out of the home.
To me it seems that a damper with a pipe diameter of the same size as the blower exhaust pipe would be all that was needed as long as it is close to the room with the hood. You would automatically pull in the same amount of air your were blowing out.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 6:14PM
kaseki

The need for a booster fan depends on the pressure loss in the MUA path vs. what is safe for combustion appliances. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter much except for the drop in hood performance due to house negative pressure.

The question is: when using a large diameter MUA path (i.e., larger than a mosquito diameter) what do you filter it with, and what is the pressure drop as a result. A fan such as in the OP's solution helps make up for the filter prsesure drop.

kas

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Bosch Dishwasher Problems...
We have a relatively new (1-2 years old) Bosch dishwasher....
ronaka
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
Latest on Bluestar 30" RCS Gas Range Over Door Temp
Hi, First, thank you to all community members who have...
htwoozik
Questions on Bosch and Wolf induction - min. pan sizes
Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for quite...
houztongirl
Sponsored Products
Slipstream 65-Inch Ceiling Fan in Oil Rubbed Bronze with Tinted Opal Glass and E
$539.95 | Bellacor
Campania International Celtic Cross Cast Stone Garden Statue - S-474-AL
$144.99 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Aloha Green 5 ft. 3 in. x 7 ft.
$70.97 | Home Depot
Charcoal Nomad Wool Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Beautyrest Recharge World Class Rekindle Plush California King-size Mattress Set
Overstock.com
Thomas Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Covington Wall-Mount Outdoor Black LED Lantern
Home Depot
Bolla Satin Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$396.00 | Bellacor
Furniture of America Bernadette Dark Walnut Mission Style Captain Bed with Stora
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™