Gaggenau Steam oven to replace microwave?

ilovecat1September 8, 2012

Hello. This is my first post! We are about to start a kitchen remodel and getting a Gaggenau Ed231630, which should arrive in a couple of days. This is the older Gagg steam oven, but I am getting it new, never used. Any thoughts on using this in place of a microwave???? We currently just use the micro for heating up stuff and snacks for our 11 & 13 year old boys. I have to decide quickly because it is holding up our design and I need to finalize in order to order my cabinets. Prior to "having to have" this steam oven, I was going to do the Thermador wall oven/conv micro combination (2 ovens.) Now I am not sure if I need that many ovens. Help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
philwojo

Can it replace a microwave, yes, will it be the same as a microwave, no. What I mean is you can use it to heat and reheat foods, but think of it as an oven, not a microwave. It will heat up quicker than a full size over, but it still requires heat up time and takes time to cook food, it doss not have the speed of a microwave.

Hope that helps.

Phil

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 1:03PM
zartemis

Here are two good threads about this on gardenweb. See if these help:

Reheating - Miele Steam Oven vs. Microwave - How Long?

Will a steam oven really replace our microwave?

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 9:12PM
ILoveRed

You will love your Gagg but you still need a small, cheap microwave somewhere for occasional use. But, you will never want to use it to reheat after you use your Gagg.

Good threads Zartemis linked for you above.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 2:05PM
ilovecat1

Thanks so much. Another question. Gaggenau wall oven 27" which is the 200 series. I can buy a floor model at a good price to go with my steam oven. Concerned about the size. Although it is wider that my current old oven by 3", it is also 3" shallower. Will I have enough oven for my family of 4? Anybody have the steam plus 27" wall oven? thanks.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:21PM
lalithar

I am planning a 27in gaggenau oven with a 24in combi steam above.. Kitchen is stil work in progress., so everything is is waiting in the garage for the installation.

Lalitha

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:08AM
lee676

see my comments re: Gaggenau 27" oven in the other thread

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:35AM
More Discussions
Unnecessary drama with Miele dishwasher...
The salt/softener tank on my ten-year-old Miele Incognito...
howardgee
36 Inch Wolf Range and Fridge
I'm looking at range's for my wife's soon to be kitchen...
amexblackg5
Cook and Dine teppanyaki users
Hi All, I have another thread currently running about...
twobelles
Need A New Keurig - Suggestions?
Our Keurig at the lake bit the dust. The single cup...
amck2
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™