Aging in place on second floor?

jrueterOctober 10, 2013

So in planning our updated MBA, I have been considering various aging in place features like grab bars and comfort height toilet and curbless shower, etc. But then I start wondering if a fully wheelchair accessible space for a second floor bathroom is overkill. Probably. I can see the value in grab bars and considering access as we get older, but if I can't make it over the shower curb, I can't imagine how I will get up the stairs!

So I guess my question is, what seems reasonable (useful) for a second floor MBA?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Babka NorCal 9b

Good reasoning! Speaking from experience (ah,hem), as you age, your parts wear out. Higher toilets are much easier on the knees/thighs. Higher countertops too so you don't have to bend over so far to wash your face. We now have a 3" curb in our new shower which is a delightful compared to the old 6" one. Grab bars are good to have, but you don't have to put them in right away, just make sure you block the studs for them in the future. So some of this stuff is a good idea on a second floor while you can still get up and down the stairs easily, but that wheel chair access seems silly to me...unless you love this house so much that you'd eventually install a chair lift on those stairs!

-Babka

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 1:51PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Duplicate post

-Babka

This post was edited by Babka on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 12:54

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 1:55PM
lotteryticket

jreuter,
I had the exact same thought. Curbless is a nice look but they can be tricky to install and, I imagine, expensive. I am glad to hear that Babka's curb height is only 3". I hope to minimize it as much as possible but curbless seems like an unneccessary extravagance in a second floor bathroom.

Bookmark   October 10, 2013 at 3:01PM
enduring

Like Babka said unless you will be able to put a chair lift in the house, whats the use of the w/c access. Some years ago my dear friend put a lift in their remodel for her mother who walked. I had moved so I really didn't know how useful it was or if it even got used.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™