Undermount vs drop in tub

rebecca3142October 29, 2013

Hello,

I am wondering if there are advantages to undermount vs a drop in bathtub, other than esthetic preferences?

Also, the tub I am thinking about ordering can come with grab bars attached but they are $300 more. Can other grab bars be installed later is we need to?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
live_wire_oak

An undermount is much easier to sit on the ledge and swivel around to get in the tub. When you're naked, (or even if you're not!) it's just not that comfortable to sit on a ledge with a ridge in it that cuts into your legs or backside.

Grab bars can be placed on the wall to the side of the tub entry at any point if you install the blocking needed in the walls before they are closed up. Be sure to place the Roman tub faucet on the deck appropriately to give you the room you need to enter and exit and still be able to reach it from the exterior. And be sure and get the option with the hand held sprayer to be able to actually clean the tub! It can work for rinsing shampoo out of the kids hair too, if you let them use your tub.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:26PM
rebecca3142

Thanks! (you've always been so helpful with my questions)

I didn't think of that aspect. I was actually thinking about the drop-in being more comfortable when you are in the bath since the lip gives a bit of a head rest aspect.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 1:33PM
divotdiva

I think I am going with the undermount option but I keep obsessing about "what if the air tub breaks" as I don't know how one would remove it without possibly breaking the deck (granite). The store where I bought the tub did recommend undermount for the looks.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:26PM
rebecca3142

Thanks! Which airtub are you going with?

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Anyone have knobs for shower door?
Do you like them? I have a narrow shower so I am considering...
risforremodel
Cultured Marble vs onyx collection vs solid surface shower pan
1st off, I am a long time lurker in these forums and...
dmsohio
anyone know this brand for shower fixtures?
Trying to get a replacement part. Bathroom remodel...
jormydog
towel warmer. waster of space or must have?
thinking about buying the Costco anaconda comfort towel...
Edie Nicosia
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™