Angled grab bar next to toilet?

elphaba_gwOctober 29, 2012

Anyone use an angled grab bar next to their toilet? Looks pretty institutional, right? I think we need it but in most ways, I'm managing to keep the institutional looking ADA kind of hidden. Looks like this one will be out in the open.

For those who bought this, any regrets? Any other options you might have looked at such as a straight bar (maybe 18 inch) installed at an angle i.e. with one end lower than the other instead of this angled one below?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elphaba_gw

Just after I posted the above, I found another post here on aging in place and grab bars. I think the Pickens brand there looks decent and not so clunky. Wish I would have known about signature hardware earlier. Funny how they don't show up on google "grab bar" searches. Well at least I hadn't pulled the trigger on the bar next to the toilet. I like the one below much better though it seems a bit long.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:05PM
williamsem

I think it was the ADA bathroom thread on here where there are some nice looking grab bars. They blend in decently well. One was a TP holder grab bar for next to the toilet if I remember correctly.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 1:40PM
kirkhall

I've linked the other thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: aging in place thread

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 3:04PM
enduring

elphaba, I like the 1st one you posted. The reason that the 2nd one doesn't look so "chuncky" is because it is longer - so the length to the diameter ratio is different. This is a guess. But the 2 contacts vs 3 contacts tells me that the one with 3 contacts is longer. From what I have noticed is that grab bars are pretty standard in diameter. I think months ago I saw that there was a web site with different sized diameter bars. But that was atypical in my searches.

I bought 2 Kohler grab bars, 1 for my bathtub, and the other for use as my towel bar. They are in polished stainless. They are very pretty in my opinion. Not fancy shaped, just a pretty shinny chrome color in stainless.

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 8:10PM
desertsteph

I like the longer one. I can tell ya I'd have loved to have had something like that yrs back when I broke my knee cap. That was pure H to sit down and to get up.

with the longer one you have some room to move your hand up and use it to help pull yourself up.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 2:31AM
enduring

elphaba, I misread your statement about the "chunkiness" with regards to the bars. I think Desertsteph has good point about the length. Good luck in your search.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Shower glass strong enough to hold towel?
We will be getting semi-frameless glass shower walls....
risforremodel
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
Sponsored Products
American Standard Toilet Tanks Studio Cadet Toilet Tank Cover in Bone ivory
$41.60 | Home Depot
Kingston Brass Fauceture EV4076 Citadel Vessel Sink - EV4076K
$227.47 | Hayneedle
Square Toilet Brush Holder in Wood in Brown or White Finish
TheBathOutlet
STERLING Toilet Tanks Windham 1.6 GPF Toilet Tank Only in White 404515-0
$51.41 | Home Depot
iTouchless White Round Touch-Free Sensor Controlled Automatic Toilet Seat - TS1R
$116.00 | Hayneedle
Deluxe Personalized Potty Chair - 2728-W/BL
$82.98 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™