1-piece vs. 2-piece toilet?

tr1140October 1, 2009

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if there is an advantage/disadvantage to a one-piece toilet vs. a two-piece toilet? It seems like everything I'm looking at tends to be a two-piece toilet, but is there any reason to rule out a one-piece if I find one that I like? I'm also having an issue with the "comfort-height", but that's probably for a different thread!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trtsmb

I'm not a plumber but I don't see a difference beyond personal preference.

We just bought a 2 piece Toto Aquia to replace the two piece American Standard in our bathroom renovation.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 1:00PM
advertguy2

The one problem I can think of with a 2 piece is that stray urine streams can get into the joint between the tank and bowl and fester. A 1 piece eliminates this. 1 piece tends to be more expensive. You also tend to be more limited with 1 piece in terms of choices.

I have a 2 piece Kohler Persuade which has what they call a "sanitary dam" between the bowl and tank. Basically there's a little step up from the top of the bowl to where the joint is. Makes it a bit more difficult to get urine under there. Not saying it's impossible though. Anyways, enough urine talk. I'm no plumber, so my opinions don't mean too much.

Bookmark   October 1, 2009 at 1:42PM
rgrs

It can be difficult to paint behind a one piece. Also, it may require two people to install - other than that, I'm wondering about it as well.

Bookmark   November 22, 2009 at 8:41PM
desertsteph

i'd just consider the weight of it. two pieces - each weighs less and easier to carry.

or if the tank cracked it could be replaced on a 2 pc w/o replacing the bottom part.

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 3:34AM
monicakm_gw

My plumber carried in our Toto Ultramax and set it by himself. One piece: easier to clean and one less place for a leak to occur.
Monica

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 4:55PM
dilettante_gw

Pros:
* Easier to clean
* Usually more compact than the same model 2-piece. An elongated 1-piece may even fit in the same space as a round-bowl 2-piece.

Cons:
* Usually MUCH more expensive (for example, the Kohler Memoirs 1-piece costs almost twice as much as the Memoirs 2-piece)
* Harder to move (but not something you'd do very often)
* If it gets damaged, you'll have to replace the whole toilet (not something I'd lose sleep over)

Bookmark   November 23, 2009 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Doable...European sink & US bathroom pop-up drain and faucet?
Originally posted in "Plumbing" I cannot...
rantontoo
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™