X-Post (lighting and bathrooms)

sjhockeyfan325October 30, 2013

We have a fairly small bathroom (about 8'6" long x 7' wide, with a low ceiling), and need some help. I've attached a sketch. I left one thing off the sketch by mistake - on the back wall between the tub and the closet, there is wiring for a wall light.
So, there is wiring for the wall light on the back wall, a light over the tub/shower, a light behind the toilet, and it is wired for lights on either side of the mirror that will go over the vanity. I've always read that side lighting over the vanity is best.

Looking at sconces for the sides of the vanity mirror, we see incandescent, Xenon, halogen and LED. Which is the best light source? Will incandescent continue to be available or should we avoid? If the others, how many watts/lumens? (I saw one light that said 20 watt LED bulb - 870 lumens - equivalent to a 60-watt incandescent bulb, which didn't make any sense to me, as I thought 870 lumens was a fair amount, and 60 watts incandescent isn't!)

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjhockeyfan325

OK, I have figured out that a 60 watt incandescent bulb puts out about 800-1500 lumens, and a 20 watt LED about 1000-2000 lumens, so I guess the equivalency is correct.

That said, how many lumens should I be looking for for each side of the vanity mirror, and what kind of bulbs?

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 12:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine40

that depends on what type of light you like. We have really tended away from "soft white" light recently---it reads very very yellow to us. We have been using more of a "bright white" light. Which for us means some of the 3000K LEDs--but not all--some look too yellow and some look to blue....we have also used GE reveals for a whiter light. In our recent master bath redo--it's a dark room, shaded backyard--very little natural light. I put in 2 recessed lights with 50W halogen floods (whiter light than incandescents) we well as a 150W (3 50W) halogen fixture over the vanity, and the shower has a light as well. it's an 8x8 bathroom.

Contractor felt the overhead lighting was overkill, I said I'd rather have the light and not use it than need it and not have it. so, we have it, we need it and we use it!!

I am not sure it helps, but we went with whiter light rather than yellow light.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
if studs are 16' apart, can i have a 24' medicine cab recessed?
can the builder recess a medicine cabinet wider than...
srg215
Very Cool - New Porcelanosa Luxury Vinyl Tiles
I would love this for my walls too! And the website...
numbersjunkie
Replacement parts for Restoration Hardware Pivot Mirror
Hi All, I have a 24x30 rectangular pivot restoration...
isb182
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™