Paying for driver updates on Samsung

KeithBCJune 17, 2014

I have had a Samsung laptop NP550 P5C for nearly two years and have put up with a lot of foibles from this slab. In the meantime, I have added two Canon printers; a Pixma MP620 and a Pixma MG5520. Both operate fine but I get 'Update Driver' for both of them. When I do so I am asked for $29.95 for the driver support software. Is this cash grab something from Samsung or is it from Canon??
I's love to hear from 'non Samsung' users on this!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil

What's the full URL of the site when you get hit for the fee? At this Canon location it's free: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/printers_multifunction/pixma_mg_series/pixma_mg5220#DriversAndSoftware

Here is a link that might be useful: Pixma MG5520 driver from Canon.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:33PM
KeithBC

Thank you for the slap across the head!!!! I checked in the Canadian site for both printers and although both have updates, neither will affect the operation of he printers for my personal use. It must be Samsung going for the extra buck. I do have my own opinion of Samsung but I must not put it on paper. Thank you again- go to the source no matter where it is!!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:55PM
KeithBC

Thank you for the slap across the head!!!! I checked in the Canadian site for both printers and although both have updates, neither will affect the operation of he printers for my personal use. It must be Samsung going for the extra buck. I do have my own opinion of Samsung but I must not put it on paper. Thank you again- go to the source no matter where it is!!

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 11:57PM
SnidelyWhiplash

Updating drivers is usually not necessary if the relevant hardware functions as intended. Installing a version with a later date most often accomplishes nothing and when attempted by an inexperienced user, can lead to undesired consequences.

My motto for fixing things is "If it's working, leave it alone".

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 12:58AM
KeithBC

You are absolutely right! Even more with electronics in the hands of, as you so kindly put it, of less than experienced users. Not quite the same as the mandatory upgrades from Windows, iTunes etc.
Thanks for the reassurance

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
OK, turned my back, and the kids are playing with
backgrounds, and making the viewing easier on the eyes....
shaddy101
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Owbist Where is Owbist?
Did he cash in? Haven't seen his dulcet tones since B4...
mxyplux
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™