Noisy external wall mounted kitchen exhaust fan

Ausie123September 11, 2013

Our neighbour has remodelled their kitchen. Looks lovely but the end result has been that the exhaust fan is now ducted out of their house and this forms our boundary wall. Both the noise and odour impacts us on the ground level.
We may have found a solution to the odour problem as they are going to install a carbon filter. But I am at a loss as to how to reduce the noise.
Their house is a two-story terrace (as is ours) and we have investigated exterior fluing it but it can only go 2 metres and I suspect that will just shift the noise to our bedrooms upstairs.
We have also investigated a duct silencer but this will negate their rangehood warranty.
The only other thing I can think of is to build some sort of insulation box around the outlet. I don't think we could fully enclose it as thismight be a fire hazard. But some sort of structure (maybe two sides of a box) might help? I have not seen this done anywhere else. Just wondered what your suggestion is. Photos or weblinks of this kind of structure would be great. As would any other ideas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

If the fan is at the hood, then a silencer would help, possibly greatly help. I see no reason why the hood warranty would be affected other than the hood manufacturer covering its posterior against everything. The silencers from [US] Fantech have minimal restriction when matched to the duct diameter.

Also, depending on the legal climate, the neighbor has a duty to not significantly pollute your environment. Reducing noise should be his higher priority than maintaining the hood warranty, particularly considering that the cost risk is limited to a blower.

Perhaps more explanation about the 2-meter limitation would also help. Is this a neighborhood visual limitation? Height might move the apparent sound source to a better location, and in general the sound pressure level will drop in inverse relation to distance. However, given logarithmic hearing response, a significant distance might be needed for an apparent signficant reduction.

It will take a heroic carbon filter to remove odor from a serious frying or grilling exercise. This is why outdoor ducting is usually embraced, to remove the odor (and grease particles too small to collect at the baffles) to the external environment. They have to be released high enough to not easily propagate to neighbors' houses. An upblast blower on a roof usually accomplishes this, and is the design most used by restaurants in the US. Often having a larger blade diameter than the duct size on which they are mounted, upblast blowers will generate less tip turbulence noise than a small diameter blower would for the same flow rate.

kas

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Oven Control Board bad again, 4th time. Kenmore Double Wall Oven
Hi everyone. I have a 5-6 year old Sears Kenmore Double...
fireboat
Need a second oven/micro combo for island installation/under counter
We are getting ready to remodel our kitchen and were...
ksdeclue
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
Need help with appliance choices, layout critique
Hey all. We have a preliminary kitchen plan attached. I...
jennifer2413
Sponsored Products
Oil Rubbed Bronze Moon Light Kit
$50.00 | Bellacor
Malibu Outdoor Lighting. Outdoor Solar LED Spotlight
$9.97 | Home Depot
Hunter Ceiling Fan Controls 4-Speed Slide Fan Control White 27181
$19.95 | Home Depot
Progress Lighting Ceiling Fans AirPro Signature 54 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling
Home Depot
MLB Tampa Bay Rays Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$264.95 | Bellacor
University of South Carolina Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™