Enduring the Grinding Halt

CEFreemanJune 13, 2014

Hi all.
I'm having trouble with several different browsers, which indicates to me that I've got bigger trouble with my system than just a browser.

I'm running the God-awful W7 Pro, SP1.
My preferred browser is IE 11, 11.0.8.

I find if I have too many tabs open, my entire system freezes. It will take several minutes for things to release, then it bounces back and forth applying any keystrokes I've slammed in the meanwhile. But trying to change tabs brings it to a halt again. I constantly receive xxxx site is not responding. B.S. I have yet to determine what "too many tabs" is. I find I need to resort to a very dated solution to free my system, which is to reboot the darned thing.

I'm using a script to reregister .dlls. It's set up in my Startup folder, so it runs before I start any browsers.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm doing some knowledge base searches and blogs that deal with system issues. Other than running one tab at a time, which would then bring my work to a grinding halt, any ideas for solutions?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jemdandy

You did not say how much memory you had. Lockups, slow downs, and stutters is commom when the RAM fills up. You should have at minimum 2 Gigabytes.

You could have a poor piece of software that is a 'memory eater'. About 3 systems ago, I had a HP printer whose driver failed to 'give back' memory after it was done with it. As a result, my memory slowly 'leaked' away after each print job.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:26AM
DA_Mccoy

Ditto to the RAM advisory. Also, you may have unnecessary applications running in the background eroding your resources.

DA

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 7:26AM
owbist

You might consider running the free BelarcAdvisor to see what memory you have and to determine if you have a 32 or 64 bit machine. If 64 bit then you can add more and hopefully remove the nuisance.

I agree with Jem and DA on the memory or lack thereof being the issue.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 9:47AM
lazy_gardens

What may be happening is that the sites you are trying to open are loaded with scripts and other crud that make them slow to load and they aren't releasing control until they do load.

Can you get an ad-blocker, script blocker and set the browser to not load images and to NOT preload pages? Also remove any widgets that constantly update themselves, like weather monitors.

I'm using a script to reregister .dlls. It's set up in my Startup folder, so it runs before I start any browsers. Why? What is this doing for you?

Find out how to see the "processes" that are running. Check them right after startup ... make sure you aren't running wierd stuff.

(copy the list and post it here)

Then check them with a freshly launched browser and blank window.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT074911
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

===========
You also might have been hijacked ... run the best and newest virus checker you can get.

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Chrome browser crashes
Every time I click a link to open with Chrome browser,...
grandms
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Renaissance Neutral Rectangle: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rectangle Rug
$579.00 | Bellacor
Fathom 2 Piece Living Room Set in Walnut
$398.00 | LexMod
White Linen Etched Cylinder Glass Table Lamp by Arteriors
$432.00 | Lumens
Virtu USA Bathroom Olympia Vessel Sink in Black VST-2023-BAS
Home Depot
Rectangular Solid Brass Mirror - Satin Nickel
Signature Hardware