Computer for games

LesliePJune 5, 2012

My husband's old computer is about done. He likes to play Call of Duty games, the older ones. He has a tower and does not want a laptop. He only uses the computer for games, no internet. I remember buying a graphic card so he could use the game, but I can't remember what kind. He loves those games, so I would like to replace it for him. I am lost as what to even look for, so any help is very much appreciated! We just need a new tower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob414

You may have a problem with those games playing on a new computer. I checked one on Amazon.com (check this link) and it looks like it doesn't play on Windows Vista or Windows 7. It might mean looking for a computer with Windows xp which may be hard to find.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:14PM
LeslieP

He has window xp pro now.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:16PM
mike_kaiser_gw

The big difference between your mainstream desktop and one used for a gaming is a discrete video card. While you can sometimes add a video card to mainstream computers, most don't have a large enough power supply. Which means you need to replace the power supply.

You might be better off building a computer. A decent gaming machine starts at about $700 but you could probably get away with a bit less of a machine because you're looking to play older machines. If the operating system is an issue, dual boot between XP and whatever else you'd like to use.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
System Restore on new windows 7 need password?
I just bought an Acer windows 7 tower and when I wanted...
urlee
Why won't iTunes let me sync audiobooks?
I have many audiobooks in iTunes and in my iPod. I...
caroline94535
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™