What to check upon getting refurbished tablet

abreezeJune 21, 2013

I ordered a refurbished tablet for my sister from Walmart.com. I'm familiar with computers but a novice with Android and tablets. What all should I look for to make sure the refurbished model is OK (as far as one can tell?) I remember reading some pointers that Raven listed for somebody, but I can't seem to find that thread.

She lives out of state, and I need to make sure any problems are taken care of before I deliver it. She has never been able to use the laptop due to her poor vision and inability to maneuver the cursor. I'm excited about her being able to use Google voice search and touch the screen. Also, the home screen and keyboard should be easier to see and use. I bought an Acer Iconia 10.1" tablet A210-10g16u that, according to reviews, has a good screen.

Thanks for your help.
abreeze

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9

I just bought a refurbished iPad from the Apple store and talked with them first. They said that sometimes refurbished units had nothing wrong with them, but were simply a return after the purchaser changed his/her mind. At a minimum, Apple puts in a new battery and provides a new shell. It also comes with a full one-year warranty, just like brand new units. When I got it, it was packaged just like the brand new iPad I purchased last year and was pristine looking, including a spotless screen.

I suggest you call Acer and ask what they do to prepare a tablet for resale, bearing in mind what I mentioned above.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 12:28

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:50PM
emma

I bought a refurbished Sylvania tablet at Big Lots for less than a hundred dollars and I like it, no problems. They have some now but I did not recognize the brand names except for Polaroid.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:28AM
SnidelyWhiplash

There's no good reason for you to "recognize" the names of either Sylvania or Polaroid on a tablet.

These names don't belong on tablets any more than if you saw one labeled "Kleenex". I believe any consumer electronics so labeled does so under license, The products are produced by an unidentified company and the "brand name" is put on the product. It's very misleading, just don't think you bought better quality because the reputation you're thinking of belongs to a different company.

Sylvania makes light bulbs and Polaroid made cameras before it went bankrupt. A new buyer is using the name.

Edit - Ooops, PS to OP
I have a few Acer products and have had very good experience with them, they seem to make good stuff. I'd have high expectations for their tablet.

This post was edited by snidely on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 17:25

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 1:08PM
abreeze

Thanks for the encouragement, Snidely. I've been pleased with Acer products, too.

I found the thread in which Raven lists a number of pointers for anyone who buys a refurbished tab. The link is below...

Here is a link that might be useful: Raven? about your Asus tablet

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 8:57PM
DA_Mccoy

I personally would certainly consider purchasing a refurbished unit from a manufacturer if the price was right, but not from a purveyor unless it was near to being free.

The deal breaker would be a full manufacturer"s warranty. No reduction. No remainder. Full factory only.

DA

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
Sponsored Products
Cosequin DS Chewable Tablets Dog Joint Supplements Multicolor - 015NM-CDS132
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Lippa 36" Dining Table in White
$299.00 | LexMod
Techni Mobili Elegant Desk/Hall Table with Storage - RTA-8401-OAK
$149.99 | Hayneedle
FRX 5 Emergency Radio
$99.95 | FRONTGATE
Salsbury Industries Lockers 19000 Series 24 in. W x 20 in. H x 6.25 in. D 9 A
Home Depot