Repairing crack in solid surface shower pan

weedyacresOctober 16, 2013

My parents had a contractor install a new shower a couple years ago with a custom made solid surface pan and tiled walls. They have just discovered that it leaks (to the living room ceiling below), due to a nearly invisible crack in the base.

They had the contractor come look at it and he's scratching his head saying he's never had that happen before. No solution has yet been proposed.

Any advice I can provide my parents on how this might be fixed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

I would think the base cracked because it isn't properly supported. It has to come out.

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 11:43AM
Trebruchet

It doesn't have to come out.

Hot melt a straight edge to the bottom of the pan adjacent to the crack. Route a dado over the crack and almost through. Cut and fit a color and particulate matched piece into the dado making a snug fit, but loose enough to allow color matched methelmethacryate adhesive. Apply adhesive to the male and fit it in. It should be just proud of the pan. When the adhesive has set, hot melt blocks to the router bottom and route off the excessive glue and material. Sand and finish.

Check the rest of the pan for hollow spots by tapping gently but firmly. If you find any, drill the pan, inject epoxy and fill the hole with color matched material and adhesive. Sand and finish.

Make sure the drain opening has all edges sanded smooth and all tool marks removed too.

Post some pics.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:46

Bookmark   October 16, 2013 at 1:39PM
weedyacres

OK, my bad. Apparently it's granite, not solid surface. I live a few states away, so was going on (bad) memory.

This brings to mind SFH's recent thread with the cracked soapstone shower base....

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 8:49AM
Trebruchet

It may be possible to do a repair similar to the one previously described, but the appearance would depend on the "movement" in the granite, if any.

It may be worth a shot before tearing that thing out.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 11:50AM
srosen

Post a pic-Like Trebruchet said it just may be possible.
Granite are usually grainy composition and crack repairs have the potential to look worse then the crack.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 7:25PM
weedyacres

I requested a photo from Dad, but he hasn't sent it yet. My recollection is that it's a granite-look pan (small, even pattern, not lots of movement); hence my recollection of it being solid surface.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
encaustic tile install?
I've fallen in love with these tiles but am completely...
daisychain01
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Need help with master bath layout
Hello everyone I am designing my master bathroom. And...
adrituerk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™