TOTALLY Cleaning My LapTop

1JanetHJune 6, 2012

My question is this: How do I totally clean my laptop of the "deleted" "trashed" items?

I know how to perform disc defragment & disc cleanup. I know how to remove unwanted desktop icons and of course virus scans. I do all of this regularly but I want to know how to give my system a good cleaning....how to make it run a bit faster, smoother, etc. Things like pictures, music, unused files that I've transferred to cds. But somehow still show up from time to time. I want those pesky things gone LOL

I don't know how to stop things on the startup menu when first booting the system. I know that would help also.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

This utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows starts up. For each application, the following information is displayed: Startup Type (Registry/Startup Folder), Command-Line String, Product Name, File Version, Company Name, Location in the Registry or file system, and more.
It allows you to easily disable or delete unwanted programs that run in your Windows startup.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 11:16PM
nearandwest

"I don't know how to stop things on the startup menu when first booting the system. I know that would help also."

Another option for you is to do the following:

1. Go to your search box on your Start menu and type in msconfig. Hit ENTER.

2. Click on the Startup tab and you will be presented with a list of programs that load at startup.

3. Uncheck the programs you do not want to load at startup. Click Apply, then click OK.

4. Restart your computer. The programs you unchecked should not load at startup.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 1:22AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

be very careful though many of the items you really do not know what they affect so if there is any doubt do not change it.
I recommend a great free program that will help you with that and so much more it is called WinPatrol
WinPatrol
there is a free and a pay version there.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:56AM
mikie_gw

When I want to clean my laptop totally & very well, I've been using Jubilee Kitchen Appliance wax on it. Works nicely :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 1:28PM
bob414

Thanks for the tip mikie. There are fingerprints all over my laptop and I've been wondering what to do about them.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 1:31PM
1JanetH

zep516 - Thank you for that info! I'll try it and see what I come up with. I appreciate your responding to my question.

nearandwest - Thank you also for responding. I loved the detailed explanation and will be definitely using this method.

ravencajun - Thanks so much for the link and the warning. I'm very cautious when it comes to removing things. If I don't know exactly what it is, I leave it alone. Better to be safe & have a slow computer than to be sorry & without my computer because of something I ignorantly have done. Thanks!

mikie - whatever would I have done with all these fingerprints had you not replied?! haha thanks ;)

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 8:35PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Mikie, where did you get the Jubilee Kitchen Appliance wax? They quit making it years ago (or at least you can't find it in any of the stores around here). LOL

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 3:53PM
mikie_gw

Been under my kitchen sink for eons.
Works, seems dustless. Contains a sanitizer "Ortho-benzyl-para-chlorophenol" & Naphtha.. so its like cleaning your laptop with gasoline & bug killer.... but otherwise it seems exactly like gelcoat/fiberglass boat cleaner/polish I used to use.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 4:36PM
mikie_gw

I use it on my $15 wireless ms BlueTrack wireless mouse 3500 too.. which I love... It really seems, fingerprints don't show as easily. This Lenovo is super extra shiny everywhere, exceptions being the palm rests and touch pad.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 4:57PM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Wish I could find a bottle of Jubilee. I used to use it for so many things and really miss not being able to buy it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 10:53AM
shaxhome

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:04AM
grandms

That really brings back memories. Thanks, guys, and Shax for the picture!

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 4:28PM
More Discussions
Problem watching videos from Yahoo on Android tablet
Yahoo videos won't play on my Android tablet. Videos...
Lisa_in_Germany
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
Sponsored Products
22 Gallon Diamond Pattern Pull Top Trash Receptacle - T188W
$409.99 | Hayneedle
White Murray Console
$209.99 | zulily
Kenroy Home Waterville Mirrored Steel Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus
Grape Harvest Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Arteriors Home Jersey Luster Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus