Can I fix my Outlook Express problem?

janepaJune 1, 2011

The following message is what I get when I go to retrieve my e-mail in Outlook Express. "The server responded with an error. Account: '', Server: 'POP3.bjmaster', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR DNS Error: NXDOMAIN. You have attempted to connect to a non-existent server. Please check your settings and try again.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90"

A friend was visiting and using my computer, and even though I finally got high-speed, he thought he could make it faster. I do think whatever he did did make some searches faster, but ever since he 'worked his magic' I cannot access my Outlook Express e-mail. I can get my e-mail from my server page, but I have used Outlook Express ever since I had a computer, approx. 10 yrs. or so, and I prefer it. Can anyone help?

Thank you. Jane

PS:Yes, I did contact my friend, but he does not seem to be getting excited about trying to fix it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

What is the operating system? XP, Vista, Vista 64 Bit.......

    Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Google is your friend. This might help.


Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft Support

    Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

zep - Microsoft Windows XP.
Thanks. Jane

    Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I did a system restore thinking it would restore everything back to before he messed with the computer. It did restore things I cleaned off my desktop, etc. but it did not fix my e-mail. I noticed a week before this all transpired that when I went in to check my e-mail I needed to enter my password which I did not have to do in the past. Could something have messed up my Outlook Express before my friend ever tried to add speed?
Thanks. Jane

    Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX

Sounds like something happened to the server (incoming) entry. POP3.bjmaster doesn't sound to me like a valid server name. If it's a account...I am guessing that the incoming mail server should be That is just a wild guess based on standard nomenclature.

To edit the setting, in Outlook Express, click Tools, then Accounts, go to the mail tab, select the account and click Properties on the right. Now go to the servers tab and enter the correct incoming mail server name. You might have to contact your ISP to get the correct server name. I believe that you can save your password in properties too.

    Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 8:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. To give you an update, I contacted my server, and we installed my e-mail address in Outlook Express. In fact, I did it at least three times, with no success. They think it is an Outlook problem and gave me an 800# to contact Microsoft, which I did. He said he could give me a couple of websites to check out, which I think are the same ones suggested by DA. It looks very complicated to me. His other suggestion was that he put me in contact with a tech, and when finished I would be billed $60. No thanks. I think I will give up on OE and use my server e-mail.
Thanks again for trying to help me. Jane

    Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo


It is a hard lesson to learn as you found out, but one always has to think of the potential consequences when a relative or "friend" tinkers with your system, even with the best of intentions.

I've seen the negative results all too often.


    Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 6:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My server switched to web based and in order to receive through Outlook Express, I had to go through where pkponder mentioned to get it to work. (winXP)
I then added my gmail accounts to send and receive through OE which was a blessing being I am on dialup and taking forever to load at the website.

    Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 11:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

urlee, I know what you mean about dialup. I just got high speed in February.

I did find the answer to my problem with OE.

Just on the off chance something might show up I checked my e-mail settings at my server for my e-mail. When I clicked the button to make changes it showed I had nine letters (shown as dots) in my password, but I knew it should have only 8. I deleted what was there and re-entered my password and saved it. I then went to OE and low and behold it worked. I have no explanation how the password could have gotten changed since it has worked since Feb. when I got high speed and they helped me set up OE as my e-mail. I don't know what my friend did to give me a little more speed, but I don't think he would have been in my server website. Go figure? I am just glad I found it, and it is working.


PS: No one is touching my settings or whatever again.

    Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:35PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
Installing a free Antivirus with Malware included - recommendations
I am setting up my mom's new Asus Win 8.1 laptop. She...
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
need help finding laptop/notebook
I hope I am in the right place.. sure wish they would...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™