How 2 build house w/ exposed-beam ceiling?

modern_missAugust 23, 2009

What is the most cost-effective and efficient way to build a house with an exposed-beam ceiling?

Is it to build the to-be exposed ceiling structure first and then add insulation on the top (exterior) followed by a roof after the insulation is in place? (in essence building from the inside out)

OR would you add a "false" or decorative-only beamed ceiling underneath a standard framed and insulated ceiling?

Both are probably possible. I'm curious about the pros and cons associated with each. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alphonse

All kinds of possibilities. But,"cost-effective and efficient" leaves out other considerations, perhaps subjective, about living in a home.
You may also mean "rafters" instead of "beams".
IMHO, fake detracts from a home's "quality".
To achieve what I think you mean, a timber framed rafter structure w/ collar ties or structural ridge and SIPs on top would be simplest.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 8:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allison0704

Do you want to build a timber frame home? Those have to be built frame/beams first.

My parents have a lakehouse with large wood beams that were installed after the sheetrock. The installers had to drill large holes through the beams and attach them to the structure. They plugged the holes. They look nice also.

My personal taste is to stay away from faux beams (and rocks). Not having priced our beams any other way, I don't know how cost compare. I do know a true timber frame home is not inexpensive.

We have beams that are structural. They were installed during construction prior to the roof, sheet rock, etc being installed.

During:

The kitchen beams were installed the same way:

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen pictures

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Front Entry door
I am totally out of my comfort zone on the one! We...
3ilovepie
Please review my plans - help needed with bedroom arrangement
Hi folks! This is the second time I have posted our...
Momto3kiddos
Plantation vs faux wood blinds
We have decided to do plantation shutters in the front...
aimless07
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
Master Bath revisions
Which revision do you like better? There can only be...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™