Do you need to drill into cast iron shower pan to install a door?

threeapplesOctober 25, 2013

The glass company says that in order to put a shower door on our shower that has a Kohler cast iron shower pan we need to drill into the pan. This worries me. Is there another way? I'm open to framed or frameless doors for this shower.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busybee3

we have a cast iron shower pan and they did not drill into the pan... (we have frameless)... they did however drill through the tile to install the door hinge into the stud and epoxied a 3/4" guide to the pan and the pony wall to hold the bottom pieces of 'wall' glass (glass is on 2 sides).

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Sometimes the size/weight of the door dictates the hinge used, but that should have been figured out in the design stage.

Top/bottom (curb mounted) hinges do need mechanical fastening to prevent shifting.

So it's really a matter of design. Was the shower designed so the door literally can't be hinged to the wall? Or to an adjacent glass panel if there is one?

If it's simply a matter of a non-imaginative installer, then that's another issue. If the doors were already ordered and they are detailed for a curb-mounted hinge, then the glass itself might need to be reordered to use wall hinges.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Under bathroom sink pull-out
Having custom bathroom vanity built...double sinks...
janelor
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Seeking Skirted Toilet with Good "Water Spot"
I am replacing an old toilet that was one of the early-generation...
sahmmy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™