finish product for wood ceiling beams?

michoumonsterAugust 29, 2012

Hi all,

I have seen some spectacular wood beams on this forum. I was wondering if you can share some advice on what products to use to finish wood ceiling beams? Our GC has stained our beams using an oil based stain (ours are not solid, but wood wrapped beams). Now he wants to know what we want to use as the clear coat on top. Any recommendations?

We would love something that will be no maintenance since it is way up high. Also, something in more of a satin/matte finish.

thanks for any recommendations!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andi_k

Not sure how well you can see ours, but we did reclaimed wood beams. We haven't put anything on them yet, but if we do, we are just using Tung Oil. Waterlox satin finish may be a great option for you as well. But, I'd test on a sample first if you can.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 8:30AM
michoumonster

Andi_k, thanks for the suggestions. I have heard good things about waterlox. I will look for it. I was thinking of using it for my wood countertops anyway though I might have to order online as it seems like only specialty stores in my area carry it, accordign to the waterlox website..
Your beams are gorgeous! They go really well with your fireplace stones too. thank you!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 1:34AM
andi_k

Yeah, we only found waterlox in one place near us - Woodcraft. We used it on our floors - 2 coats regular finish and final coat was Satin (so it's a matte finish)...it looks fantastic! Several people here have used it on their wood countertops as well and had great results.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
garrell house plans (amicalola & etc)
We should all start a support group for Garrell house...
SilverSpurTrust
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Need help with 8' porch drop-off
I'm needing ideas for terracing steps from my front...
Beth LaPenna
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™