Tile with hardwood? Need some stylin' help.

MizLizzieOctober 26, 2013

After a major kitchen remodel, I am still struggling to give my small powder room a little dress-up. It is just off both the kitchen and the formal dining room. It has white fixtures, white plantation shutters, butterscotch paint (BM Safari) and medium oak hardwood. House is uber-traditional.

The sink and toilet wall is just 58" so my dream of a real vanity is not ideal. The adjacent wall with window is just 65". I think I will just replace my cheap contractor pedestal sink and loo with Kohler Memoirs.
My kitchen backsplash is Grazia Rixi dore -- the butterscotch yellow tile. For a little continuity, I thought I might tile the walls up 42" using the dore and the mandorla (white) in a pattern similar to this picture.

Would it look weird to tile that room? It would be purely for appearances. And if I can't decide now, and go ahead install the new toilet and sink, can they later be tiled around? Or would they need to be pulled out?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I would tile before the fixture installations. I think the pattern is pretty and would be beautiful.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 4:16PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

Tile is a good way to give a small area some personality. However, I think you might be missing a chance to go a bit bolder, like your inspiration. Use the yellow on top, and use a darker tone on the lower. Like the chocolate brown. Don't do just one wall. Do them all.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:09PM
enduring

Even more beautiful Hollysprings!

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 7:14PM
shanghaimom

Yes, I agree with Hollysprings--powder rooms are your big chance to go BOLD!

If you get sticker shock after a tile bid, some punchy wallpaper is a good way to liven up a plain pedestal sink room:

Traditional Powder Room

Traditional Powder Room by Nantucket Design-Build Firms Shelter 7

Contemporary Bathroom by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Niche Interiors

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 9:41PM
MizLizzie

That is a lovely blue wallpaper, shanghai mom. Just gorgeous. Won't work in this room, but I would love to use it somewhere . . . Love that mirror, too. Any idea of mfg?

If I go the tile route, I will be alternating the 5x5 yellow and white Rixi in either a checkerboard or perhaps even a harlequin pattern. I will be topping it like the green and yellow photograph, with the festone piece in yellow, and the chair rail piece in white. (Or perhaps substituting for the chair rail a row of 2.5x5 in white with a white pencil edge atop it to save $$.) These are the colors I need to coordinate the room with the kitchen and the dining room.

I'll be doing 3 of the walls. The fourth wall, which the door opens against, I hope eventually to cover with very shallow cabinetry.

Sounds like consensus is tile with hardwood is not a no-go, so that's reassuring.

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™