Sound on laptop goes on and off

dedtiredJune 4, 2014

I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. The sound goes off and back on intermittently. I'm definitely not pressing mute or anything else. Any ideas how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aputernut

Check for driver update in device mgr.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 9:29AM
SnidelyWhiplash

Did it work correctly for some time and then it became intermittent? Or has it always had this off and on pattern?

If it's something that just started, it's unlikely to be a driver problem. Unless a new driver got installed that doesn't work right.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 11:38AM
dedtired

The laptop is a couple years old and this problem cropped up in about the last six weeks. Ideas??

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 3:51PM
mikie_gw

I'd probably start by running control panels Troubleshoot / Audio.
Maybe mentally note the time it happens and later on look in the Reliability History to see if any notes of errors.

Probably visit Toshiba Support for my model and maybe download and reinstall the Audio driver... maybe visit their forums and search or look for other Toshiba users with same problem.

But it sounds like a loose wire. ...
What browser do you use.. it could be some kind of internet cache corruption. Assuming this happens playing web stuff audio's. Maybe try CCleaner ?
.. If only happening in say Media Player you could uninstall it in Programs/Windows features and restart and re-install it. What source does this happen ?

Here is a link that might be useful: /How-to-use-Reliability-Monitor

This post was edited by mikie on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 19:19

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 7:09PM
llaatt22

If it has a little or never used headphone jack, you might try plugging headphones into it when the sound fails. If you hear solid sound via the headphones, then try gently disconnecting and reconnecting the plug multiple times to see if that action gets the speakers back to normal.

Bookmark   June 5, 2014 at 9:43PM
dedtired

Thank you. I will try all of the above and report back.

I use Mozilla Firefox.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:18AM
dedtired

Bumping this back up. When I plug in headphones, I can hear the sound through the speakers. Sometimes I have to jiggle the headphone jack to get sound. It does seem as if there is a loose wire or connection. Is this an easy fix?

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 7:49PM
grandms

It may or may not be easy. I had this happen in an older HP laptop, and it was a ribbon that had come loose when a wire broke. With the help of someone on a forum and good instructions, I was able to fix it. First I had to buy the ribbons on Ebay and then take the keyboard off to get to the speakers. Not exactly easy but not too hard, either. I suggest you go to a Toshiba help forum and ask for help there. You'll need the model number and other pertinent information.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 10:54PM
dedtired

Thanks for responding. I would not attempt to fix this myself. That would only be a disaster.

Maybe I'll take it to Best Buy, where I bought it, and see if they can fix it without having to send it out somewhere and charge me more than the cost of a new laptop.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 9:35AM
SnidelyWhiplash

Personally, I avoid Best Buy, I think better choices at better prices can be found elsewhere. Their service charges are quite high too and I'm not sure how capable their techs are.

Are there other PC service providers in your area to try? Hopefully there's a cheap and easy fix, but it's also possible that the sound on this PC is dead.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:32PM
acraftylady

Same here about best buy. I would rather use the local place than go there after what they did to my friend and from what I understand they send the laptops out or that is what she was told when she took her laptop there that it would have to be sent out. They wouldn't even look and diagnose it in the store. Find a nice local repair place. Mary

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:32PM
dedtired

Thanks. I'll look around for a local place. I'm sure there are plenty.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™