SpeedUpMyPC

love2sewJune 20, 2013

Do we need to purchase one of the constantly advertised new programs for our computer. I did a free scan on my PC with SpeedyComputer and had about 16,000 items to clean up. Then when you say to fix, you go to a purchase screen for $30.00.

You guys are so good with advice on what is important to have.
Jeane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

That is simply a scam to take your money, just delete the program and be done with it. You do not have 16,000 items to clean up, just scareware trying to frighten you.

Do you have any specific problem you were trying to find a fix for? If so when you reply give us the make and model of the computer, which Windows version you have and what ever safety/virus protection you are using.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:37PM
SnidelyWhiplash

I agree with the scam assessment. Nothing is free, nothing is too good to be true. Those free scans are indeed scams.

The best practice is to never click on links on any website or in emails for which you are not absolutely sure that the destination has a legit sponsor.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 4:50PM
azinoh

The irony is that Garden Web posts ads for these scams on a regular basis.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:25PM
SnidelyWhiplash

What's the irony? It's not like this site is an underground bomb shelter where everything and everyone is safe.

The ad space is managed by Google (which is typical of very many websites) and just like a newspaper or magazine, they're happy to take ads from any business that isn't illegal.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:39PM
breenthumb

azinoh, you wouldn't see any of those ads if you were using adblock plus. And without loading the ads, pages open faster too.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:21PM
azinoh

Maybe...but I prefer to know what kind of tripe this site is trying to peddle to the less knowledgeable users who seem to frequent this forum.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 8:40PM
emma

I don't even see the picture at the top with adblock plus. I like a nice clean page.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 9:43PM
kudzu9

love2sew-
Not only is that program not very useful, I know of some people whose computers ended up worse after they paid their money and ran it. There may be things you can do to speed up your PC -- such as disabling programs that you don't need at startup -- but don't complicate things with one of these types of programs. Most computers slow down over time for various reasons. A computer savvy person should be able to help you improve performance without resorting to quackware.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 1:49AM
aputernut

NO!!!!! that is a pop up gimic, to make money off of you. download FREE Malewarebytes and run a quick scan once a week if needed, to get rid of any maleware that get's into a PC while surfing. You also of course have disk clean up and defragv already on your PC.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 10:13AM
owbist

Why reply to a 9 month old thread?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 12:41PM
sushipup1

(thread got bumped by spam, which has since been removed)

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™